Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a locomotive for my train "addict" hubby for a gift. He uses Lionel TMCC engines mostly but has only be into this hobby for a few years. We attend the TCA York show each year, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. I am looking for a model with superior sound, crew and tower talk. Any suggestions? All opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would go to a good train shop and check several things out. Its all in what you/hubby like. Lionels Lionmaster locomotives are nice.

·
Admin
44,351 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum. :)

If you're looking for great sound, the Legacy locomotives are generally acknowledged to have the best sound nowadays. I know the ones I have really have great sound. Legacy also has varied tower and crew talk, depending on your current operating mode. If he has TMCC, another really nice gift would be the Legacy system, that unlocks all the features of the new Legacy locomotives.

Is he into steam or diesel? If we have a few more facts, we might be able to steer you to some possibilities.

·
Registered
993 Posts
diesel, or steam ? either way, Lionel's new "UBER" board,[new electronic sound board] now found in all new Lionel locos are very nice,smoke units ,and even the led lighting are better ,bright white,rather than the old dull yellowish look,naturaly they are all Legacy control,but TMCC cab-1 will run them just fine.
I have two of these new locos,in diesel of course,and I am very happy with both of them,...I am sure glad Lionel fixed the problems that plaged the older Legacy locos[NOT TMCC] this ,as all ways is JMO I'm sure many will chime in and dispute it .....................mike

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Most Lionel engines produced since the 1990s will have some sort of electronic sounds. Look for TMCC , Railsounds, or Legacy on the box. Their are some traditional items offered at a lower price point but the box will typically say they have only whistle and bell. The crowd at a TCA meet like York should be very helpful and knowledgeable. If you see an item you think your Husband would like simply ask the seller about the sound system.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Once I hit my 50's I couldn't tell bad sound from good. Too much listening to loud rock 'n roll in the 70s did in my ears. :) Those tinny Lionel air whistles are sounding pretty good these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts