Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some help from some HO model old timers who might have a clue as to the
manufacturers of two rail-cars my Dad put together between 1948 and 1955 (estimate). I've been able to identify the rest of Dad's inventory (4 Loco's and about 15 cars). Other kits are from Ulrich, Varney, Mantua and John English.
These two have been impossible to pin down and I'm wired to try to get a full accounting of what I've uncovered!

The first is an all metal (lead?) MKT Caboose #817. I know Roundhouse has a plastic version of this, could this
be a predecessor? I'm thinking this might be the oldest of the collection. I have found one picture match, but the eBay entry links to a set of decals for Southern Pacific.

The other is a Pacific Fruit Express #45792, model is wood construction. Have not found a car # match anywhere, the closest being a #45702 (Athearn).

Pictures should be available here.

Thanks in advance for any clues.

Registered
Lionel maybe??? The bottom of the reefer looks to be made of wood, so potentially a kit?....

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Was Lionel doing HO in a big way back then? I believe both were kits, certainly the MKT is clearly cobbled together. The PFE is a bit neater, but I assume based on what else I have, it was built, but from a much more sophisticated kit.

Registered

Registered
The reefer looks like it could be an old Athearn tinclad, though it might be an even older Globe Models kit (Athearn acquired the line). The stamped frame looks like it.

Registered
Reefer definitely from Athearn/Globe. The Caboose is as mature paint job. I think it is MDC/roundhouse. A pix of the bottom of the car may clear that up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts