Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing the 1000-mile lube on my MTH LV C-628 snowbird I noticed that the tach tape has a wear mark. I don’t recall seeing that before and this loco has always been a good runner. Upon closer examination, I noticed that one of the motor leads was rubbing against the tach tape. But that’s not why I’m posting this.

I also noticed that the tach board is loose. Something else I don’t recall ever seeing. It’s loose enough so that when I was lubing the motor, the board came out. When I turn the loco upside down and shake it, the board stays in so I think I’ll just leave it as is.

I’m just wondering if it’s normal for the tach board to be this loose.

IMG_4736.JPG

·
Admin
44,180 Posts
No, but some are. It clearly got pressed up against the flywheel at some point, unless something else is getting pressed against it.

I normally stick some thin shims down in the holder to keep it from moving and tighten it up when this happens.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks John. Good to know. Although it seems loose, when I turned the loco upside down and shook it, the board stayed put so I'm just gonna leave it. Should be good to go for another 1000 miles.

The board didn't get pressed against the flywheel. There was a motor lead rubbing on that.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Thanks John. Good to know. Although it seems loose, when I turned the loco upside down and shook it, the board stayed put so I'm just gonna leave it. Should be good to go for another 1000 miles.
1000 miles? :eek:
Do the come with an odometer? :confused:

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1000 miles? :eek:
Do the come with an odometer? :confused:
Yes. On PS2 and PS3 locos. If you have the DCS system, you can press the DOD softkey to see the total scale miles traveled. And if you press the DCH softkey, you get the total time it has been sitting or running on powered track. The remote also lets you know if maintenance is needed (every 1000 miles or 50 hours).

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Yes. On PS2 and PS3 locos. If you have the DCS system, you can press the DOD softkey to see the total scale miles traveled. And if you press the DCH softkey, you get the total time it has been sitting or running on powered track. The remote also lets you know if maintenance is needed (every 1000 miles or 50 hours).
OK, cool, I don't have any.
When mine start sounding like a hamster wheel I know they need service. :)

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I should have taken John's advice. A few weeks ago the loco took off on me. Today I took a look and the board was out of place. I didn't see a way I liked to put a shim in the holder so I put a dab of rubber cement on each side where the edge of the PC board meets the holder. That should hold it. While I was at it, I painted the white spots on the tack strip black with a sharpie.

The rubber cement didn't work. See update below.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I should have taken John's advice. A few weeks ago the loco took off on me. Today I took a look and the board was out of place. I didn't see a way I liked to put a shim in the holder so I put a dab of rubber cement on each side where the edge of the PC board meets the holder. That should hold it. While I was at it, I painted the white spots on the tack strip black with a sharpie.
Great tips about servicing the tach system. I have a couple engines with worn tach stripes. Now I know why and how to fix them...

Tom

·
Registered
447 Posts
Lehigh 74
MTH GP7 charged BCR then went to move engine nothing i could hear sounds motor revving as i increased speed it did nothing i started to smell something but it was not the smoke from stack.
I found what happened.
Lehigh74 looking at your motor and at mine in a diagram on MTH website for my gp i see black rubber band that secures those top motor wires downward so they do not fuss with the flywheel.

You see on mine it was old original not many miles on motor at all but that rubber band looks actually like a traction tire like in diagram, well it was was at very bottom of motor broke apart and was partially melted with a black oily residue on the wires below took smoke unit and motor and truck and cleaned everything and ran without shell runs fine again and quiet.

Yours may have had one at one time not sure but it would have helped prevent the wire getting caught up.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dieseler - I don't think mine ever had rubber bands. The wire is stiff enough to hold it away from the flywheel, but I guess the factory assembler was in a hurry and didn't notice the one wire was touching it.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

The rubber cement didn't seem to stick well to the tach board and its holder. I was able to pull the board out easily. So I removed the cement and put a dab of liquid tape on each side. That seem to work. After it cured, the board couldn't be easily pulled out.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Dieseler - I don't think mine ever had rubber bands. The wire is stiff enough to hold it away from the flywheel, but I guess the factory assembler was in a hurry and didn't notice the one wire was touching it.
Out of curiosity went to mth site in search put in MTH LV C-628 it showed several that in instruction manual diagram shows what looks like a simple rubber band tan color toward bottom of motor securing the wires.

Mine is a different model mth that has a black color rubber band that was broke and jammed at bottom of motor and left a black oily residue on some wires and casing of motor that was cleaned up.

Its not needed in my opinion long as the wires are bent out of the way of flywheel and hold that position as mine is running without that rubber band currently with shell off waiting for the engineer to stay re glued in place .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts