Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I'm new here and somewhat new to model RR. I had a basic 4x8 ez track oval back in the day but never really stuck with it because of money and space limitations. Now though, neither is as a big of an issue so once again I have decided to pick up on this hobby and plan on sticking with it. :D

Here are a couple of shots of my current layout that I am working on:

So far I have 2 Kato locomotives, an SD70mac and a Dash 9. I do plan on picking up an SD90 and a AC4400CW. As for rolling stock, I went down to my local hobby store and saw that an average price for rolling stock is about $20, so I decided to take the ebay route and get, based on my research here :thumbsup:, a couple lots of Athearn blue box kits. As for my track, I'm running on, Atlas code 100. Besides getting a couple more locomotives, I am going to add scenery and misc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Re: my "welcome new members" posts ... looks like you're a few steps ahead, already. Nice looking locos ... and boat and plane, too! Please keep us posted (with pics) on your progress, and ping the group with whatever questions you may have.

Good luck!

TJ

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
thats a start. however as you build on and work on your final track plan consider good track-work practices. one of them is avoid 'S' curves , meaning left section immidiatley followed by right section. side swing those create is monstrous, increasing derailment possibilities many fold (especially with long power that you have)and in general looks ugly.

i would strongly advise to look into getting (or taking from library) Track-Planning-Realistic-Operation book. it is the only book modeler absolutely needs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats a start. however as you build on and work on your final track plan consider good track-work practices. one of them is avoid 'S' curves , meaning left section immidiatley followed by right section. side swing those create is monstrous, increasing derailment possibilities many fold (especially with long power that you have)and in general looks ugly.

i would strongly advise to look into getting (or taking from library) Track-Planning-Realistic-Operation book. it is the only book modeler absolutely needs.
Thanks for the tip. Yeah I've been trying to make a multi-layout fit onto the space that I have. The S curve is something I tried but in all truthfulness, you are correct about derailment due to side sway,especially with the lighter rolling stock. I just want something with more then a basic oval. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I forgot to mention this, but 'current' layout is 4x6, not 4x8. When I was a kid I did a 4x8. :D Oh and here is a revised layout I did last night after a trip to the hobby store. Lemme know what you all think! Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4x6 is a tiny space... is there really no opportunity to expand with modules later? in any case i would advise on some sort of barrier to protect derailing (inevitable) cars and engines falling off the table
Indeed it is a small space, but I just wanna get the hang of how to model a layout. I'm not going to invest that much into it except for some more locomotives for future expansion in a much larger space. I currently rent a townhouse, so its not exactly what I would call adequate for moder rr :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
i do not think anyone here is burdened by extra space. (well perhaps bob, lol) there can't be to much of it :)
but before you settle on this layout consider possibilities such as collapsible (mine in theory can be folded against the wall) or hoisted to ceiling.

as far as current track plan, while it has many paths train can take and might look interesting, at some point you will be bored by it no matter how much locomotives you have. what makes layout interesting is operation and scenery. so instead of multiple paths, i'd do larger circle around (with view block), inner passing siding with 1 or 2 industry spurs. you will have destinations and even doing loops on such layout will be more fun..

with that, they say that first layout will never be perfect (which which personally i strongly disagree and trying to prove worng :rolleyes:). so you can experiment till you get something satisfying

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i do not think anyone here is burdened by extra space. (well perhaps bob, lol) there can't be to much of it :)
but before you settle on this layout consider possibilities such as collapsible (mine in theory can be folded against the wall) or hoisted to ceiling.

as far as current track plan, while it has many paths train can take and might look interesting, at some point you will be bored by it no matter how much locomotives you have. what makes layout interesting is operation and scenery. so instead of multiple paths, i'd do larger circle around (with view block), inner passing siding with 1 or 2 industry spurs. you will have destinations and even doing loops on such layout will be more fun..

with that, they say that first layout will never be perfect (which which personally i strongly disagree and trying to prove worng :rolleyes:). so you can experiment till you get something satisfying
I was wondering if you could possibly draw the layout you were talking about to me. I tried using the track planning software but haven't had the time lately to figure it out. My layout board is 4x6.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
attached is a very quick and dirty idea to expand on.
can be accomplised entirely with sections thoguh flextrack will be better.
outside radius 22R (leaving you with 2 inches of clearance from each side), inside 18R passing siding.
additional spur can be put emerging from upper portion of passing siding. spur can also have 2 tracks

theory behind operation:
outside track is a continuous main line , your road power tows the train number of loops to the "destination". train diverges into passing siding , drops all or some cars there and continuous on running loops around. switcher train that all this time was sitting in the stub track, gets out and shoves the cars into or from industrial sidings, breaks down and assembles train. when done it leaves prepared cut either on the passing siding or main line and hides back into the stub. big train backs up, couples to cars (maybe leaving the other cars on free track) and continues with his roundy round.
this is a draft, modification to your liking will be required.

as a result you have operation of multiple engines when you want, somewhat storage area for cars you don't want to tow at the moment (or complete secont train), and continuous loop with passing siding when you just want to watch train run around. + there is room to buildings and scenery.
all packed into small layout

from personal experience i can tell you that all those elaborate tracks you laid out not going to contribute to overall satisfaction from layout , actually they will only inhibit scenery possibilities.

thats my personal take on things of course.

EDIT: another variant added just to see what can be done. red is optional scenic divider.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
tankist... the second one is very similar to what I have in the works currently. I have an extra 2 feet currently than Alex, so I have an additional passing lane on a curve. I also have one of my sides being 18"R with a loop going outside of it 22"R that is being elevated to a turntable and roundhouse.... just trying to get the most out of my space.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
attached is a very quick and dirty idea to expand on.
can be accomplised entirely with sections thoguh flextrack will be better.
outside radius 22R (leaving you with 2 inches of clearance from each side), inside 18R passing siding.
additional spur can be put emerging from upper portion of passing siding. spur can also have 2 tracks

theory behind operation:
outside track is a continuous main line , your road power tows the train number of loops to the "destination". train diverges into passing siding , drops all or some cars there and continuous on running loops around. switcher train that all this time was sitting in the stub track, gets out and shoves the cars into or from industrial sidings, breaks down and assembles train. when done it leaves prepared cut either on the passing siding or main line and hides back into the stub. big train backs up, couples to cars (maybe leaving the other cars on free track) and continues with his roundy round.
this is a draft, modification to your liking will be required.

as a result you have operation of multiple engines when you want, somewhat storage area for cars you don't want to tow at the moment (or complete secont train), and continuous loop with passing siding when you just want to watch train run around. + there is room to buildings and scenery.
all packed into small layout

from personal experience i can tell you that all those elaborate tracks you laid out not going to contribute to overall satisfaction from layout , actually they will only inhibit scenery possibilities.

thats my personal take on things of course.

EDIT: another variant added just to see what can be done. red is optional scenic divider.
I like the second layout however, with mine, I am going to elevate the center loop around a mountain with a tunnel somewhere on it. I just want to have my train go in more than one direction like a single loop does.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Shot down lol. Well I would still like to build a mountain with a tunnel in its side for the center loop.
didn't say this to shut you down :) elevation changes in such tiny space will require extra work to make reliable, grades will be steep and clearace probably be below NMRA standard. it will not be a cake walk (i know first hand) with that you sertainly can have two loops crossing at level (while the bottom actially digs in a bit for the clearance), but IMHO it is not going to be most efficient use of space.

are you member of modelldepo.ru by a chance? over there attached layout was posted. offers quite a bit for the space it takes. for your consideration.

(having problems attaching... will resolve shortly)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
didn't say this to shut you down :) elevation changes in such tiny space will require extra work to make reliable, grades will be steep and clearace probably be below NMRA standard. it will not be a cake walk (i know first hand) with that you sertainly can have two loops crossing at level (while the bottom actially digs in a bit for the clearance), but IMHO it is not going to be most efficient use of space.

are you member of modelldepo.ru by a chance? over there attached layout was posted. offers quite a bit for the space it takes. for your consideration.

(having problems attaching... will resolve shortly)
This forum is my first that I have joined for this hobby. Do you know of a website that might have some good 4x6 layouts? I reconsidered my current layout because it leaves me with little room to model scenery.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts