Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago Menards was offering their low end flatcars for $7 each. Bought a few BNSF versions and scrounged up some loads that were in the ole junk boxes. Hobby Lobby supplied some brass chains for $2 so for a total of $23 three flatcars with loads from the steel mill. You don't have to spend the big bucks to enjoy this hobby.

Bill

P4080004.JPG

P4080005.JPG

P4080006.JPG

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
When I was doing O, I bought mostly used which was about half retail more or less. I've fudged this a little with HO because it's cheaper overall.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think I would use a blackening agent on the chains. I've never seen anything that new and shiny on a railroad car.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I like shiny. Great job on the flats and loads.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I surely do miss the Menards $7 flatcars. Wish they would bring them back even for just a little more $ to allow for inflation. Maybe they could be an Online only item.

LATER

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think I would use a blackening agent on the chains. I've never seen anything that new and shiny on a railroad car.
Michael : what do you use to blacken a chain? I have tried rust paint but that did not work out so well.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
"You don't have to spend the big bucks to enjoy this hobby."

Absolutely true, and one of the things I like most about this hobby.

I also love a lot of the items for our hobby that have extremely low costs.

That said, I have learned to take a "cost is no object" view of price when shopping for train stuff. That probably does not mean what most forum members would think upon first reading it. It means that I don't even consider the cost, high or low, of an item when deciding if I will buy it. I want good quality and I look for the things that means: I have learned to buy qualityregardless of price. Sometimes you find it at low price. Sometimes you find it only at higher prices.

I have some Menards cars and they are good, particulary the 14" flatcars and Boxcars. Acceptable quality does not have to cost a lot.

That said, usually I like to buy MTH rolling stock. The couplers, bearings and truck swivels are such good quality, they are a joy to run.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Michael : what do you use to blacken a chain? I have tried rust paint but that did not work out so well.
Birchwood Casey Brass Black. You can get it at gunshops and on-line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts