Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used Lionel Amtrak GG-1 set with the locomotive and the 7 passenger cars. The engine itself is barely able to make it around the O36 fastrack turns. With the passenger cars, it barely moves on the straights. I tried pulling 6 of the cars with one of my steam engines, and the little thing was able to pull them fine! Anyone know what the problem could be and a solution? I appreciate any help!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
The axles, gears and motors in the GG1 probably need maintenance as is normal with older AC motors. Oiling the passenger car axles would probably help. Of course converting their illumination to LED would also help a ton. Definitely start with the basic maintenance though. Even a 20 year old locomotive that's never been run is usually something I pull completely apart to remove old grease and replace with fresh lubricants.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Patrick

A picture or two of the locomotive will help us give you more direction.

Who did you purchase the set from?

And....welcome aboard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have that same set that I bought used after admiring it for years. When I got it, all it would do was growl loudly and move sporadically. I removed the shell, cleaned and lubed it properly and now it runs like a beast. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Andre is correct. Check the magna traction magnets, they are known to get loose and rub on the wheels. If thats the case you need to reglue the magnets in place using matchbook cover(cardstock) as shims.
I did this on one a number of years ago.
Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts