Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a MTH Erie FA A-B-A set of locomotives a couple weeks ago. I just looked at them briefly and paid $200 for them with the promise that they ran.

I had them sitting in my kitchen for a couple weeks without really looking at them. I did research the model number with MTH and for some reason they didn’t have the manual online, so I assumed, due to their early manufacture date, they were PS/2, 5 volt equipped. I even discussed a PS32 upgrade to replace the 5 volt system should it fail with GRJ.

Well, this evening, I pulled out the two A units and checked the undersides. I was pleasantly surprised to find the telltale 3 volt charging port on the frame. Nice! I opened up the A unit and swapped out the battery pack for a BCR2. The marker lights were not hooked to the harness board in the nose, probably due to the very short wire between the lights and the plug. I weaseled the plug into the board using tweezers and it left about 1/4” of slack in the harness.

Everything went back together and I placed the engine on the test track. I programmed it into the handheld and it fired right up. Everything worked great except the markers on the unit I didn’t open up.....yet.

So I was lucky to get a good set for relatively cheap. The sound isn’t the greatest, kind of tinny and crackled but the set has low mileage and time.

Never enough Erie....

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Nice set of Alcos.

I am always amazed when folks spend the big bucks on a loco, don't run em, then sell them for a fraction of what they purchased them for. I run the heck out of my locos, I have a number of MTH locos that I bought new where the ODOM is in the 2000 to 3000 range, and a couple in the 4000 range.

Bill

·
Registered
282 Posts
Erie's

Krieglok: I like the Erie's as well - I have an A-B set - a gift from my Dad in the early 50's

I run them - at least once a month

MrToad

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

Bill, the mileage and time really don’t seem to make a difference as to the longevity of the trains. I figure Lionel doesn’t offer that kind of info, so it really doesn’t matter except for periodic maintenance.

Mr Toad, I have seen those early Lionel FAs in Erie. They seem to popular but not common. The black and yellow scheme is a good simple combination.

Bob, they ran them through my hometown as Erie and then in EL paint in my kid years. I always liked Alco’s design lines.

Finally, Randy, I have concrete floors! Lol.

Here are some better pics I took this morning...

Tom

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts