Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PHOTOBUCKET GOT ME. PICTURES SHOW UP ON PAGE 3
Don't think I'll update the ones here as all this has been replaced by a new layout starting on page 7.

Magic 7/24/2017

New guy here with a new layout.
Ho scale doing the Southern Pacific in the fifties, Southern California, San Fernando Valley to be exact.
I'm 2 years into this thing and am just now getting all my trains to run in circles, I've made every mistake in the book. The biggest one being a double crossover on the main line. (Northwest corner) Nothing I did would work for all trains so I took it out and used 4 #6 turnouts, this is working so far but necessitated redoing most all of my grades on that side of the layout.

The second bad idea I had was when I saw the Southern Pacific Daylight on E Bay and had to have it. More relaying track but I did get it to run on 18" curves. Actually the 18s weren't the problem but my bad track laying skills, had to relay almost everything. The Daylight is pulled by MTH PA and PB. Freights are pulled by Athearn Genesis GP-9 A and B units. I'll look into steam a little later on.

No way in the world this thing is prototypical, I've taken liberties all over the place.
I'm into running trains and yard operations and not so much scenery and the like.
I've seen the work some of you do here and there is no way I have the time (72 years old) or the patience.

I had a layout back in the '80s and keep all the rolling stock, all Athearn blue Box
and have added some more from E Bay. All the track and turnouts are new code 83 DCC.
Lots o' money. :eek:

I'll post a track plan, oh wait I have no plan. :confused::confused: just winging it.
Well I had a plan but it didn't last a week. :rolleyes:

Here's what she looks like so far. The Magic Railroad. :appl::appl:

North wall looking West. All the scenery is just temporary just to get ideas. The track is hopefully done. There is no ballast or ground cover, just paint, I hate the look of pink foam. The buildings are more or less what I want.

North wall 2 Where the little barn is sitting is where the double crossover was, the hardest place to get to, about drove me nuts.

West wall looking South. Putting in a passing track for yard operations. The pink foam is covering up the Tortoise turnout motors, had to lay them on their side off center because of the bench work braces. I've got 5 of them like this. Not good planning. The long bridge to the left will be replaced with a wood trestle.

West wall 2 Start of the passing track.

Yard head. Again the Micky Mouse bridge is just temp till I can come up with something better, Plan What plan? :confused:

Main yard looking East

Yard looking South. might redo some of this, don't know yet.

Center Island. Trying to figure out what to do with the meat packing plant, it's a little big. Already cut off the fourth floor. I certainly don't like the way Walthers has it laid out. All the rest of the track is just an idea, plan what plan? I put things in and take them out on a regular basis.

It's not very realistic but it's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

Magic

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
It should be interesting to run, that's what I'm after. That is if I ever get done laying track, keep coming up with new ideas and changing things. Running out of ideas and space so maybe I can get some run time in.

wvgca The yard is really two yards with two entrances. Sort of a East bound, north bound kind of thing. There is a crossover so it can be one big marshaling yard.
The stub on the East wall ends at a bathroom door and once the trees in the back yard get bigger I may just cross that door and make a pull through yard.

Magic

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's an awesome layout:D
Have you got lights in the buildings yet, that would look pretty cool at night...
No lights yet, the buildings are all lighted but no power to them till I get things set in stone.
Plan what plan. :eek:
They are all 12V but thinking of going with Leds.
Another idea I've had is to set up 4 lights one in each corner and put each on on/off switches and dimmers so
I can change how much and where the light comes from. It looks kind of crappy right mow with two florescent lights.

Magic

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's an awesome layout:D
Have you got lights in the buildings yet, that would look pretty cool at night...
I just noticed you're here in Reno. :thumbsup:
Maybe we should get together I might not be able to give you some GOOD advice but there is a very loooong list of things NOT to do. :D
I learned everything the hard way.

Magic

Edit quoted the wrong post :confused: :eek::mad: this was meant for outlaw bill.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure looks good to me. As long as it's fun it's a great layout!
It should be fun, I made the yard some what complicated so it will take some work to make up consist, I draw the cars out of a hat. :) It's fun digging them out and putting things together.

I guess I really should learn how to use the multi quote button.

Magic

·
Registered
406 Posts
Um I'm in Western Australia:( not america:( I think you quoted the wrong person:(
Would have been awesome though to meet each other and do some model railways:D
I'm kind of learning everything the hard way too, I only have a shelf layout but still loads of things to do:D

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Um I'm in Western Australia:( not america:( I think you quoted the wrong person:(
Would have been awesome though to meet each other and do some model railways:D
I'm kind of learning everything the hard way too, I only have a shelf layout but still loads of things to do:D
Yep quoted the wrong post but if you feel up to it I'll leave the light on. :D:D:D

Magic

·
Registered
305 Posts
As a kid I caught the train flu in down town San Fernando! Oh the memories!
Sorry about that got lost in my childhood! Lol!!
Magic that is one nice layout! I also prefer to do things the hard way, it's just more fun that way!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
New guy here with a new layout.
wait I have no plan. :confused::confused: had a plan but it didn't last a week.

All the scenery is just temporary just to get ideas. The track is hopefully done. There is no ballast or ground cover, just paint, I hate the look of pink foam. The buildings are more or less what I want.

Magic

I like your plan. :p
I plan the same way. :D

I think your scenery is coming along great, once you get your "plan" down you can fine tune the scenery. Add some bushes & trees, make the sides of the ledges more like cut rock a little. Add a boat in the water, maybe a small swimming area with swimmers? You got to add a bunch of people here and there too.
The scenery and and details will make the layout come alive.

Once you get the track down to your liking you can run the trains and work on the scenery some more.:thumbsup:

Looking good. :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems like I'm not the only "Man with a plan." :)

I think I'm done with track for now, got to do the center island yet but that's easy.
Just this morning I decided that I have to re due all the electrical, a total mess and I've got a short I can't track down. :(

big ed; I've got a big box full of scenery stuff, cars, people, trees, etc. Hoping to get to it soon. Electrical mess first and I'm getting to it right now. :confused::confused::confused:

Magic

·
Registered
406 Posts
show us the wiring, we might be able to see what's wrong:)
The underneath of my layout is total wiring mess so I got some curtains to hide it.
If you are getting a short you probably wired the point wrong. Is it electrofrog or insulfrog?
If it is electrofrog, make sure you connected the feeder wires to it the right way (so you have positive on one side of the rail and negative on the other, otherwise if the point blades touch and one is negative and the other positive you get a short.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
show us the wiring, we might be able to see what's wrong:)
The underneath of my layout is total wiring mess so I got some curtains to hide it.
If you are getting a short you probably wired the point wrong. Is it electrofrog or insulfrog?
If it is electrofrog, make sure you connected the feeder wires to it the right way (so you have positive on one side of the rail and negative on the other, otherwise if the point blades touch and one is negative and the other positive you get a short.
No pictures, I though you were on your way over. Heck 18,000 miles or so is nothing if you get the chance to fix a short and the wiring nightmare alone would be worth the trip.:D:D

All the turnouts are Walthers DCC friendly and are OK. I added a new crossover to the center island and must have messed up there. Got two sidings into the center island now. I had to disconnect a bunch of stuff, no doubt got something mixed up.
I need to re wire the layout anyway so I'll find it when I get to it. But thanks for the offer.

Spent all day crawling around and made some headway, got most of the turnout wiring tided up and am running another buss, one for the outer oval and one for the inner. Circuit breakers on each. About 1/4 done. Bought a label printer so am labeling everything.
Should be finished in a couple of days.

I'll leave the light on. Magic

1 - 20 of 362 Posts