Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put together a ranch to run my cattle train to (well, the stockyards and loading facilities anyway). Problem is every time I try to google an appropriate ranch house (you know, board and batten sideing with the front porch all the way across and flat roof) I get so many suburban tract homes I can't find a real old-west feeling ranch house. I had better luck with the stable and a watering trough came from the local train shop. Anyone got any hints or ideas? My layout is strictly no automobiles.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Buy a farm house and cut off the top floor, make a new roof?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be a combination house and office for the cattle yard. I'm also planning on a stable.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bachmann old west saloon and barber looks close, if I change the front of the saloon.

·
Registered
349 Posts
That’s a good one, also consider card stock kits. Very popular in Britain, they can be printed
off one’s printer and applied to thin poster board. Far beyond the old Suydam creations of
former decades, these things really pop.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Murv2 I knw you want to make your own but if you are lucky enough to find this old Ranch House, one of the best I've ever modeled. Bought it in disrepair and dilapidated at the Title Town Train Show years back for $5. The Layout will eventually be from Farm, Processing, to Plate with three connected tables...2 so far. Found 2 and more on Ebay "Western Stockyard" and ConCor Stockyard Hope this helps Take a look and good luck! (y) (y)
IMG_20201114_114412521.jpg
IMG_20201114_114419091.jpg

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,021 Posts
Murv2 I knw you want to make your own but if you are lucky enough to find this old Ranch House, one of the best I've ever modeled. Bought it in disrepair and dilapidated at the Title Town Train Show years back for $5. The Layout will eventually be from Farm, Processing, to Plate with three connected tables...2 so far. Found 2 and more on Ebay "Western Stockyard" and ConCor Stockyard Hope this helps Take a look and good luck! (y) (y) View attachment 549501 View attachment 549507
Nice house and yard for 5 bucks. (y)
Though the water tank looks odd on the roof where it is.
Is that how the kit was sold? Or did you add it there?
That would be a lot of weight sitting up there on the roof.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Nice house and yard for 5 bucks. (y)
Though the water tank looks odd on the roof where it is.
Is that how the kit was sold? Or did you add it there?
That would be a lot of weight sitting up there on the roof.
Hi Big Ed, That is how the Kit comes and it was a mess when I bought it at Title town train Show! One of those.."Hey what's this in the Bag and how much"!! 🤣 🤣 Even my son who is an Engineer said that the Water Tank has to be reinforced from the Main Frame of the House....it does look cool though and fits in with our Meat Packing Plant
IMG_20160128_104755510_HDR.jpg
. One Man's trash is another Man's Treasure!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts