Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm adding a wye and it creates a reverse loop so I need help as to where I place the insulating Gaps(joiners) and where I will put the Digitrax AR1. As it is right now, all the track (yard and small circle is lined up positive and negative correctly. When I add the 2 turnouts to make the wye, it'll create a reverse loop. So that's where I need the help with the gaps and AR1. The yellow highlight is where the loop will be created. Sorry it's sideways:rolleyes:
Thanks IMG_1795.jpg
IMG_1795.jpg
IMG_1795.jpg

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here's one way you could do the gaps and wiring of the AR1. This is the most straightforward way. Its hard to tell from your drawing, but will your entire train fit within the added Wye section? If so, this is the way I'd go.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's one way you could do the gaps and wiring of the AR1. This is the most straightforward way. Its hard to tell from your drawing, but will your entire train fit within the added Wye section? If so, this is the way I'd go.

View attachment 547043
Thanks, Mark. No, the train won't fit in that wye section but within the yellow loop it will. Does the 3rd part of the wye (not yellow) make a difference? I was looking at this as a created reversing loop once I put the 2 turnouts in (circled). The yellow shows the intended reverse loop. I guess it forms a wye but my intent is the reversing loop in yellow.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here's a second way you can wire your reverse loop. This makes the entire yellow section a reverse loop as you were originally thinking. Don't miss the 3rd double rail gap at the bottom of your track plan. The non-yellow section of the Wye doesn't make any different since it has consistent polarity with the rest of the reversing section.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a second way you can wire your reverse loop. This makes the entire yellow section a reverse loop as you were originally thinking. Don't miss the 3rd double rail gap at the bottom of your track plan. The non-yellow section of the Wye doesn't make any different since it has consistent polarity with the rest of the reversing section.
View attachment 547044
Wow... that looks really good. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much, Mark!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mark
How about this pink section? Any gaps here like to the left side of the turnout?
tnx IMG_1796.jpg

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
When you add the pink section, you need to put another double gap in the rails at the end of the pink section before it joins the reverse loop. That keeps the pink section consistent with the rest of the yard track and isolated from the yellow reverse section.

·
Registered
785 Posts
B It looks to me that if the purpose of the wye is to reverse the direction of the train you don't need it !
You can eliminate either leg of the wye (let's just say in the the top photo, the one without yellow.. You can run a train counter-clockwise into and past the top (yellow) switch, throw it then back out past switch on left (below yard), throw it and go forward clockwise...This still forms a reverse loop needing RLoop wiring, though...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I want both options for the reverse loop and the right hand turn (non yellow) I have some sidings off that. I already have another reverse loop in the top right loop in the diagram but I didn't draw it in. Less track there so it was no problem putting that AR1 in.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts