Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a kit of trees you make your self from woodland scenic and I forgot to get hobi tac and im having a hard time getting the folage to stick to the branches with elmers glue and I even tried clear gel tacky glue and get bad results
ive never used hobi tac so I have nothing to compare the ones ive done too
could anyone recommend something to replace the hobi tac or do I need to get it or have you had luck with some other product
thanks
cr

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I made my own armatures from 12 gauge wire, here is how I did it.
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showpost.php?p=287041&postcount=107

If you really want great looking trees Chets sagebrush trees are fabulous.
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=24753

As for putting on the foliage I would spray the branches with the cheapest hair spray I could find. This makes them somewhat sticky. I than cut small pieces of the WS foliage foam stuff and stretch it out as thin as possible. Stick some on each branch and let that dry some, you can shape it somewhat at this time.
I than fog a light coat of hairspray on and than move in closer for a more powerful spray and shape the foliage that way (spray from the bottom up and from top and all sides) and with some poking with a small screwdriver or a pencil build the shape I want. While it is still very wet I use some of the foliage that falls off the foam to fill in blank spaces. Just sprinkle it on and than fog some more hairspray on. Let dry and repeat if necessary. Don't make it too dense, you want to be able to see through the tree at some spots.

Magic

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
After twisting the armatures, use a rubber based adhesive like Walther's Goo. This will hold clump foliage onto the trees. After this has dried for about 24 hrs, spray with dilute white glue or matte medium, which will keep the clusters from disintegrating. You can also dust it with some other colors of ground foam after you do this, which adds a nice highlight effect.

Another option is to apply the Goo, then spread green (or black / brown, if you can find it) poly fiber over the armature. Spray with adhesive and dust with foam as above.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Dude, it's a 5 year old thread...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts