Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of retail establishments are requiring face masks to enter their stores. No mask no entry. Probably a good thing but I have doubts that the mask will slow the spread of the virus. Going to take a vaccine to control the germ just like the flu.

Bill

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
It's not going to stop the virus, but the idea is to SLOW the community transfer. It's a rather simple idea, seems sound, but lots of people are in denial that this thing exists or is a threat. It can't hurt to comply, and make a personal attempt to help out humanity in a personal effort. Anyway, I don't think I'll ever be out in public without one until there is a vaccine, that can combat this awful disease.

One thing though, it's not actually germ, it is a virus, and can not be actually killed like a germ could be killed. And, on another point, this thing has been referred to as a plague. It is not, it is a viral pandemic.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
They are now saying that if everyone wore a mask, the thing would be gone in a few weeks. I’ll add that if everyone wore a mask CORRECTLY, it would go a long way. About 25% of the people I see haven’t figured out that you need to cover your nose as well as your mouth.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
They are now saying that if everyone wore a mask, the thing would be gone in a few weeks. I’ll add that if everyone wore a mask CORRECTLY, it would go a long way. About 25% of the people I see haven’t figured out that you need to cover your nose as well as your mouth.
That absolutely drives me wild! I can't believe that these folks are this obtuse. The virus, and other particulates are mostly released from the mouth, but taken in through the nose. Leaving nostrils exposed will take in an airborne virus and, now that person has the virus. He, or she may have left home just fine, but returns as infected. There just isn't any room for error. These masks, for the most part are not certified as being able to trap the virus, but no protection is just that, NO PROTECTION. Perhaps someone in authority should produce a video as to how to wear a mask and put it on TV instead of some commercial touting a new drug for restless leg syndrome or some other made up disorder.

·
Registered
754 Posts
About 25% of the people I see haven’t figured out that you need to cover your nose as well as your mouth.
Yep, this is infuriating.
Masks aren't perfect, but there's solid science that even simple homemade varieties drastically lower the amount of droplets that make it into the air and that's why they're so effective at slowing the spread.

We've had a mask order for months now for all retail establishments here in Chicago and we've been able to get a surprising amount of control over the virus. Not complete victory, but considering we're a dense urban population with lots of "essential workers", the progress and lack of the spikes that have been happening elsewhere. has been remarkable. The most recent increase has been among young adults who have gotten complacent.

When I see how our national virus numbers are going -especially compared to countries with nationwide policies- I wish we had a nationwide mask order.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,721 Posts
Well once they implemented all the lock down requirements and the use of masks in the NY tri-state area the numbers did go down.
Now they are lifting some of them the numbers Knock on wood are still going down. But masks do help, I thought this from the start when "they" were saying masks on the public are not needed.
What you are seeing in a lot of these states is a complete lack of anything. People not even trying anything.
Duh, look at those having a virus party with a known affected person just to see who will catch it.
Pure stupidity ! The boat party out in a lake 1000's of boats all together. Miami beaches and others. etc. Pure Stupidity.
The masks are used to protect others from you (they say) not to protect you.
One of the batches of masks I bought have the little breathing hole on it. Now after I bought 10 they are saying not to use them.
I still do and I think I get looks, but at my size no one will say anything to me.
I also don't walk around coughing and sneezing.

What also amazes me is the amount of people who want to get tested? If I felt ill I would want a test but if I have no symptoms why should I?

You know what the answer is? It is because it is a FREE test, and people have nothing else to do.
Just like the free food handouts, I would be willing to say 50% of those going are only going because it is FREE and they have nothing else to do.
Might be more, but I do know there are a lot who do need the food.
Put a price on the tests and the lines would go away. :cool:

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
My last few years in defense contracting as a acquisition Logistician, in other words, worked the detailing of buying stuff, one of my products was a gas mask for helicopter crews. The filters in these masks were designed to stop biological and chemical agents. The coverage of these masks included mouth, nose, eyes and ears. All those are membranes that the deadly agents can penetrate and infect the victim. The filters were only good for about 8-10 hours at most.
That is the serious approach to protection against biological agents.
Now, if the powers that be really want to protect the public, why are they screwing around with this N95 or N99 mask? Read the product information, it will basically say its good for preventing the inhalation of airborne particulates, in other words, dust. The N95 and N99 warn that they are not to be used in a gas environment because the gas will pass right through the filter. WHAT, the gas will pass through the filter? Yeah, the mask filter of the N95 and N99 only stop dust like particulates.
Now, ya take the size of the gas particle and put it next to a virus particle and you will see the vast difference in size. You can put 10 of the COVID19 virus cells next to each other like on a chorus line and they can pass right through the N99 mask without touching anything.
OK, so ya don't cover all the points were the virus can easily penetrate your body and the N95 and N99 masks are as effective as a screen door on a submarine, who is kidding who?
The numbers of people who get sick or die are tallied by different methods. What we hear on the news is not trustworthy, not by just a few here and there but by 10 folds.
Much like the Affordable Care Act that forced people to buy a product, now ya gotta buy a mask that is also useless. Anybody see the pattern yet? The tax payer jumps through all the hoops, pays all the bills, go where they are directed to go then its found out that it was a mistake and didn't work out as the government thought is would. SORRY, we didn't plan that out right.
We are being played as the gullible tax payers we are. We are more interested in the Homer Simpson show than understanding what our government is doing to us.
We will get what we allow.

·
Registered
754 Posts
D&J, you're correct about the effect of different masks for the applications you mention.

However, It's not gas or individual virus particles that masks are intended to slow. Rather, it's the moisture droplets that the science indicates are the most common way the virus particles get from one person to another.

No one is saying masks are perfect, but they are effective at lessening the amount of moisture that gets from the wearer's mouth to another person and therein lies their usefulness.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Without pointing fingers, somehow wearing a mask became a political statement and that's where things fell apart.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,721 Posts
Without pointing fingers, somehow wearing a mask became a political statement and that's where things fell apart.
Here we go,.............................look who started it.
Geeesh, can't we leave politics out of anything?

Without pointing fingers, right, here comes Hobo next ........and his side kick.........then John with the hammer.
If you didn't want to point fingers you should have added to the thread with something else. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I get that masks stop the moisture droplets from transferring, but when was the last time you spit on anyone, or sneezed at someone??
Now I know some can just be a idiot & not care. So yes it can happen.
My thoughts are with the mask thing. I see every where the people have it on , but not right. It’s on in their car... it’s worn everyday with out cleaning, or replacing... it is a absolute virus/ germ happy house!!
Then I watch as most use their hands to pull at it , or adjust it. Then open a door, or touch a item at the store to only put it back. Dig out the wallet to pay , or purse to get the phone. Then put it to their ears removing the mask to talk...

I mean I guess it helps slow it down at first.... but I don’t see it helping for long. Not with general public behavior!

I think we needed this 2 months ago with a stay at home mandate!

I don’t think we will ever be gone with this virus! It just will not work that way.
A vaccine will help most with peace of mind. Much like the flu. If we are going this far with all the craziness, then I say all , or nothing! Lock us down 3 weeks ! I mean a full lockdown! Defer bills & everything for 1 month so we all can stay in!! It burns out & we can get on with living!
Just my thoughts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

What also amazes me is the amount of people who want to get tested? If I felt ill I would want a test but if I have no symptoms why should I?
Because you may have had the virus but were asymptomatic.

There's lots of theories flying around about who is susceptible, whose likely to be extremely affected by the virus. I recently read that the level of a person's reaction to the virus may be tied to their genes going back tens of thousands of years.

I had a dry cough one evening and the next morning (March 15 & 16). That was just as the epidemic was becoming main stream news, If it wasn't for that news, I wouldn't have thought anything of the cough. And I've had no other symptoms, felt fine, and have no discernable after effects.

I work for a medical practice. When the doc saw me cough, he threw me out of the office, said get out of the building and tossed a prescription for a Z-pack out the door behind me. Now we know that the antibiotics in the Z-pack won't do anything for a virus. But he wrote it to ward off the possibility of me getting bacterial pneumonia.

In early March, my girl said her son got a cold and a sore throat for a day, no coughing. Then she got the same a few days later. They didn't think anything of it. You kind of expect that in March. That's how I got the virus.

Now I'm immune and non-contagious. But I wear a mask in all the required places. I do it to avoid confrontations or alarming others. It's just easier than waving a medical exemption.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts

Without pointing fingers, right, here comes Hobo next ........and his side kick.........then John with the hammer.
If you didn't want to point fingers you should have added to the thread with something else. :rolleyes:
Nope, no need for me to pile on, as it’s obvious that people already know where the biggest problem lies.....and that would be heavy on the lies..... :LOL:

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Now, if the powers that be really want to protect the public, why are they screwing around with this N95 or N99 mask? Read the product information, it will basically say its good for preventing the inhalation of airborne particulates, in other words, dust. The N95 and N99 warn that they are not to be used in a gas environment because the gas will pass right through the filter. WHAT, the gas will pass through the filter? Yeah, the mask filter of the N95 and N99 only stop dust like particulates.
Now, ya take the size of the gas particle and put it next to a virus particle and you will see the vast difference in size. You can put 10 of the COVID19 virus cells next to each other like on a chorus line and they can pass right through the N99 mask without touching anything.

I'm not sure that gas is considered to be a particulate. The Covid virus is a particulate and has size and weight. It needs to be filtered by a dense media. The paper used in HEPA filters is designed to filter out particulate matter down to .3 microns. The covid virus, alone is smaller than that. But, in the method that it would be most likely transmitted, in a moist droplet could and would be still stopped on the surface of the mask. Gas masks also may have some type of particulate trap, but, at that point, I believe they cease to be called gas masks, and, take on the nomenclature of respirator. So, we are into differing categories of protection here.

At any rate, anything that is reasonably tightly woven and worn properly can help to alleviate the probability of inhaling or exhaling airborne particulate matter emitted by the human body. If you just consider the possibility of contacting the virus on the molecular level, I don't believe there is any mask known to exist at this time.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

I used the term "Without pointing fingers" to avoid politics. I think your post is the one injecting politics.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I for one do not advocate for wearing a mask. My reasoning is really very simple and has much logical merit. If the mask the person is wearing by choice works as intended, why do I need to wear one ? Evberyone weariong a mask will be protected from me. No one seems to be able to answer that.
Dan

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
I for one do not advocate for wearing a mask. My reasoning is really very simple and has much logical merit. If the mask the person is wearing by choice works as intended, why do I need to wear one ? Evberyone weariong a mask will be protected from me. No one seems to be able to answer that.
Dan
But the point is, not 100% of people are wearing one......therefore, you could get it from another one of those non-wearers......masks will help drastically if ALL people are wearing one......I just don’t know why that’s so hard to understand.....

I would guess you have heard the old saying.....one bad apple will spoil the whole barrel.....that’s the best way to answer your question.....

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Dan
I did read that the generic masks are most effective at stopping outgoing virus - keeps an infected person from infecting others. That they are less useful in stopping incoming virus.

Not sure about the science behind that.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.