Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
I for one do not advocate for wearing a mask. My reasoning is really very simple and has much logical merit. If the mask the person is wearing by choice works as intended, why do I need to wear one ? Evberyone weariong a mask will be protected from me. No one seems to be able to answer that.
Dan
You're thinking about it backwards.

The science is that...
... the generic masks are most effective at stopping outgoing virus - keeps an infected person from infecting others. That they are less useful in stopping incoming virus.
Exactly. Wearing a mask is more protective for others than it is for you. Wearing a mask is something you do because you care about the health and safety of your neighbors and community.

I think the best analogy for wearing a mask is putting your shopping cart in the cart corral. Putting your cart in the corral isn't going to save your car, but if the wind picks up, it's going to save someone else's parked car. Except now instead of talking about a dent in a car, we're talking about a deadly disease.

·
Registered
580 Posts
We restrict freedoms all the time in the name of pubic safety. You can't drink and drive because you put others at risk. Most states require you to wear a seatbelt. You can't smoke in public places. You must walk your dog on a leash. Now when the risk of contagion is so high and the consequences is deadly, you want to say screw the restrictions? Please.

Stores put up signs that say “no shirt, no shoes, no service so adding a mask is no different.

Did you ever sleep under the covers in bed? A mask is just like that.

What's the legal basis for making people cover their faces?
State and local governments have really quite broad authority, particularly in a public health emergency like this, to issue emergency orders

There are always going to be inconsiderate people who jeopardize the health and welfare of others by not using common sense.

These are the same people who drive recklessly or distracted while doing their makeup, talking on the phone or eating in the car. They are oblivious to those around them and really unconcerned about how their behavior may affect others.

Wearing a mask, washing your hands and not leaving the house when you are not feeling well are simple decisions that you do not need to be a genius to practice on a regular basis.

Yet, for some reason, there are individuals who refuse to do them.

These are practices that may have to become part of our daily routine like wearing seat belts while driving, and in the case of travel, taking your shoes off, undergoing repeated scans, etc.

"The mask is political, has NOTHING to do with health." Sure. That's why they're in use around the world - and have proven to be effective. By contrast around the world ignorant right wing morons are dying - and also killing people - in droves because they refuse to use masks.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Yeah, and that would be true if the masks were in fact effective.
As you said, its a political thing. What can they get the public to believe.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I am not sure what the breakdown between believers (mask wearers) and non-believers is, but the fact is this. Sooner or later there will be a vaccine, and all those non mask wearers who manage to survive may get an injection. But, what is the likely hood of that? Since they either didn't believe in the mask for protection, or feel it is an invasion of their freedom to choose, do you wonder at all if they choose to ignore the vaccine? After all, if the virus never existed for them, there won't be any reason to protect themselves from it. This thing may be with for awhile. Protect yourself. Those who choose not to do so will go down their own path, wherever that may lead.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
I used the term "Without pointing fingers" to avoid politics. I think your post is the one injecting politics.
HA HA HA yeah, OK, right. 🥴

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Nope, no need for me to pile on, as it’s obvious that people already know where the biggest problem lies.....and that would be heavy on the lies..... :LOL:
"He" is advising everyone to wear a mask.
Must be a lie?

·
Registered
743 Posts
D&J
Not completely effective is not the same as being ineffective. As has already been said masks aren't 100 percent but mask wearing has already been shown to be effective at slowing the spread of the disease.

I am not sure what the breakdown between believers (mask wearers) and non-believers is, but the fact is this. Sooner or later there will be a vaccine, and all those non mask wearers who manage to survive may get an injection. But, what is the likely hood of that? Since they either didn't believe in the mask for protection, or feel it is an invasion of their freedom to choose, do you wonder at all if they choose to ignore the vaccine? After all, if the virus never existed for them, there won't be any reason to protect themselves from it. This thing may be with for awhile. Protect yourself. Those who choose not to do so will go down their own path, wherever that may lead.
It's an interesting issue you raise. I have already read about some public health officials who are worried that once we have a vaccine enough folks will refuse it that it will not be effective in creating herd immunity.

There's an incredible anti-science strain in the USA that is not unique in the world, but is notable among "developed" scientifically advance countries. Anti-vaccine, anti-masks, etc. Folks that choose toto see these things though the eyes of politics and perceived infringement of rights rather than through the eyes of science and public health.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Because you may have had the virus but were asymptomatic.

There's lots of theories flying around about who is susceptible, whose likely to be extremely affected by the virus. I recently read that the level of a person's reaction to the virus may be tied to their genes going back tens of thousands of years.

I had a dry cough one evening and the next morning (March 15 & 16). That was just as the epidemic was becoming main stream news, If it wasn't for that news, I wouldn't have thought anything of the cough. And I've had no other symptoms, felt fine, and have no discernable after effects.

I work for a medical practice. When the doc saw me cough, he threw me out of the office, said get out of the building and tossed a prescription for a Z-pack out the door behind me. Now we know that the antibiotics in the Z-pack won't do anything for a virus. But he wrote it to ward off the possibility of me getting bacterial pneumonia.

In early March, my girl said her son got a cold and a sore throat for a day, no coughing. Then she got the same a few days later. They didn't think anything of it. You kind of expect that in March. That's how I got the virus.

Now I'm immune and non-contagious. But I wear a mask in all the required places. I do it to avoid confrontations or alarming others. It's just easier than waving a medical exemption.
Don't be so sure that you are immune.
Some who beat it got it again.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Not sayin the virus doesn't exist. Sayin the N95 type masks are useless against it.
As for who should be careful, if you have a compromised system, stay home. Why should all of society be locked down for those who have a weak immune system. Is that what we are about, go as slow as the slowest member of society?
This is more of a belief system, that the N95 mask will protect against the virus. Either mask up all the way or not at all.
OK, I have a neighbor who truly believes the sky is falling, so we should all hide under our beds to make him feel happy?
As I said, this is a political issue now to see how far society can be pushed. There are worse things to come as this is successful.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Without pointing fingers, somehow wearing a mask became a POLITICAL statement and that's where things fell apart.
First mention of the P word is right above.
Look who said it, you too old to remember things? o_O
You...........added first. :p

·
Registered
773 Posts
well, I'm just dumb enough to think the mask affords a little protection. So I think I will keep on being a sheep, as I've been called, and go along with the masks and distancing, etc. (y)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Don't be so sure that you are immune.
Some who beat it got it again.
I've read that. But I've also read that doc.'s that initially said that, now say the person never fully recovered. I've had that happen with the flu. Four days of misery. Then feel better for a couple of days and another bout. Never fully recovered.

Also, as it was non-consequential the first time, I believe another bought will be the same. I'm leaning towards the researchers that are pointing to genes, inherited tens of thousands of years ago, that are responsible for the severity of the virus in each person

I think I'm covered either way..

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
well, I'm just dumb enough to think the mask affords a little protection. So I think I will keep on being a sheep, as I've been called, and go along with the masks and distancing, etc. (y)
Cid, I'll see you on the other side of this. Not sure about some posting here. Wearing a mask and eating in. If I need a drink, I go to the whiskey cupboard, pick my spirit, and enjoy. For as much as I drink, I have a lifetime supply remaining.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Cid, I'll see you on the other side of this. Not sure about some posting here. Wearing a mask and eating in. If I need a drink, I go to the whiskey cupboard, pick my spirit, and enjoy. For as much as I drink, I have a lifetime supply remaining.
I'm not sure whether to be encouraged by your moderation or concerned at your alcohol stockpiling...
:D

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
"He" is advising everyone to wear a mask.
Must be a lie?
He is FINALLY getting on board with masks.....late to the game as usual.....but didn’t He say wearing a mask is supposed to make you look weak? :LOL:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
He is FINALLY getting on board with masks.....late to the game as usual.....but didn’t He say wearing a mask is supposed to make you look weak? :LOL:
The reason is because he opened a mask company.
Lots of stock in Goya too. :D

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
First mention of the P word is right above.
Look who said it, you too old to remember things? o_O
You...........added first. :p
First of all if you are going to quote me don't alter the quote.
Since it seems you have a reading comprehension problem I will break down my original post for you.
Part 1" "Without pointing fingers..." --- Whether you believe it or not, I did not want this to become; it's Trump's fault, no it's Fauci's fault.
Part 2"...somehow wearing a mask became a political (not capitalized) statement.." --- Note the word "somehow", in fact it did and I think denying that is naive.
Part 3"...that's when it fell apart." ---The value of wearing masks became less relevant than the reason for wearing the mask.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.