Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm 13 years old and a few years ago I was at a train show with my dad. We were about to leave and I saw this little HO loco & tender and I asked the guy at the booth if it worked. He said he didn't know if it worked, he thought it was an antique, and i could have it for 5 dollars. So I bought it and took it home.
When I tested it, It made a little screech and went forward 1 inch before stopping. I can tell that it gets elctricity through it, and i can get it to move around the track very slowly. i have noticed that when I push down on the loco it makes the engine spin a bit faster.
I did a bit of research on what type of train it is because the guy at the show said it was antique. I am 95% sure that it was made by Mantua. It looks exactly like a Mantua "Shifter" except the number on the side is 99, which from my research, would make it a "Mighty Mite". The other wierd thing about it is that the coal car says "Delaware and Hudson", which I couldn't find anywhere. Do you think that "Delaware and Hudson" could be a custom paintjob that somebody put on it? To me, it looks like it was put on in the factory, but I don't know anything about painting model trains.

I am going to try posting pictures! Thanks so much for all your help! - JEFF

p.s. I think that it has a postwar engine in it, although i have not opened it up yet.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I have both the Mighty Might and the Shifter. The cabs are interchangeable. There is no number on my Shifter. The tenders were sold with several different road names on them. I have the Pennsylvania one and a generic replacement. I have seen them with ATS&F and Reading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for all the help! everyone seems very nice on this forum.

to Shaygets-- My dad knows of Charles Spurgeon. he liked the quote.:)

- Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts