Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this Mantua Articulated Logger. I can't seem to find any information on installation of a decoder. Is it possible with this engine? What decoder is suggested. Any help appreciated

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The strange thing is that I downloaded a spec sheet that shows a DCC Plug cable. I think there may be an older and a newer version of my logger. I amd still hopeful though, I wish I could find out what the decoder would be. I read that there is a decoder that expressly addresses the articulated features.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,751 Posts
Here is a logger for sale.
Engine

Quote"This items is in the Walthers 2009 HO Catalog, page 86, as product number 455-345001.
For additional details on this item, please contact Walthers."
They are out of stock. Perhaps an email will answer your question?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Here is a logger for sale.
Engine

Quote"This items is in the Walthers 2009 HO Catalog, page 86, as product number 455-345001.
For additional details on this item, please contact Walthers."
They are out of stock. Perhaps an email will answer your question?

Uh....."Availability: Not in Stock, due date unknown"

Bob

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found out more about the one that I have. It is from 1998, it has a can motor with flywheel drive. It is a Great Northern road, cab # 1905. I don't think the newer versions have that roadname. I think because it is not one that has the motor in the frame that it can be converted to DCC. I read somewhere that there is a controller that maximizes the articulated features. however, it did not mention the controller. The newer versions of this train have 8 pin plugins. The controller I need probably has to be wired into it since it doesn't appear to have one. There is lots of room in the tender for speaker and card though. I have been searching everywhere including "Tony's Trains" but they only mention the newer ones with the plugins and don't tell which controller to use. I am thinking to just get a generic steam controler and make it work but am not sure it can be done yet. Surely someone has done this to this great train.:eek:hwell:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,751 Posts
Trying to assist

I don't know if you like the manufacturer. This baby has 24 chuff sounds including a double chuff. Whayya think??

decoder

Yes, the can motor simpifies the installation of DCC.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I haven't called Tony's Trains yet, I did go to their website and looked. The decoder is similar or the same as one I was looking at. I think it would work but am hesitant to spend the money if it wouldn't work. Guess it just "Bite the Bullet" and hope for the best. I may give Tonys a call though first. Thanks again.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you are looking for a decoder programed for that particular locomotive check the web sites of the manufacturers. I doubt if there is one. Digitrax and Locsound have decoders that you can program the sound. As far as operation of articulated, standard or diesel. Any decoder and system will do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts