Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I test these locos with a standard Lionel or HO transformer...? Want to make sure they run before putting them on the sale block. Have no track, or other Marklin goods...just steamer and trolley.
Thanx.....Charlie.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
They are 30 volt AC and will not run properly on anything other than Marklin track and power...

On the other hand...what are you looking to get for them?:)

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Charlie,

Just to elaborate on Shay's comment a bit ...

Lionel transformers are most always AC, kicking out about 18 or 20 volts.

HO transformers (with the exception of DCC systems) are DC output.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So there's no way to test Marklin w/out the Marklin transformer.
W/out knowing if they work, they can't be worth much.....eh?
Thanx for replies, guys........Charlie.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Uhhh ... errr ... ummmm ...

I think my comment was likely misleading. Sorry about that. MOST HO is DC. I really don't know too much about Marklin. But, per Shay's comment, Marklin runs on AC. (I think that's true for most Marklin.)

So ... do NOT try to run the Marklin (assuming it's AC) off of a standard DC HO transformer.

Hope that clarifies.

TJ

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
This is a long shot but if there is a Marklin dealer in your neighborhood you could take them there for a test/assessment.

If that's not possible, you have two options. Sell them here to someone who's willing to take a chance, or do the same thing on eBay and start the bidding low. The two models are not rare at all so you won't get much interest other than someone who might spend $30 on the whole thing but not much more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts