Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had this Marx Crane since I was a Kid(a destructive one, I might add:laugh:) It had white paint on it, some sort of tar like substance on the roof, and loads of rust and corrosion. Decided to give it a, "Face Lift:D

I'm thinking;

Base and Girders/Ladders=Flat Black
Platform Assembly=Satin Black
Crane=Leave it stripped, shine/buff, and clear coat
Cab=I'm searching for some photos that I might be able to use and glue/clearcoat them on(what do ya'll think?)
Roof=get a grey/black shingle and glue it on

Instead of using string for the crane, what do you think about a "El Cheapo" 24" necklace?

Don't have the original, "Hook", but do have an extra one I bought for my 2-crane cars.

Comments? Suggestions?:D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Nice piece, Jim! How did you manage to hang onto all your old toys?

Okay---I see one of two paths to follow. One is to follow the compulsion to restore religiously---we've already talked about that, and it's a matter of choice. The other is to restore and update. On that path, I'd do as you've mentioned, but add diagonal safety-yellow stripes on the boom: with just red and black, it needs some more color.
I'd also consider using some generic decals: "Keep Back", "No Climb"....you get the idea.

Finally, for the lines...it had chain, before? What would look pretty sharp is a long, black woven-wire fishing leader, 30" long or so. They look like miniature woven cables.

Finally, the cab. The windows---I'm dubious about the pic thing. I believe it will end up looking like a pic glued onto the outside. I realize cutting out the openings, etc, is more work than is attractive. How's this for an idea? Go to a doll-house place like a Hobby Lobby and check out the scale wood trim. The idea, here, is to print a pic of choice of the inside of the cab, attach it to the back of a thin piece of styrene or plex, big enough so it covers the entire window area. Then enclose it in wood trim like a framed window (with your beloved dividers for the panes, outside) and attach the entire unit to the external wall of the shack, like hanging a blackboard on the wall. Come to think of it, hanging a job-site sign on the back side might be a nice touch, too! Best of luck, and I know you'll do a great job with it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reckers is trying to turn me into a T-Man adherent!

Reckers, I think you're just trying to keep me busy and out of everyones hair(those that still have any:rolleyes:

Actually, I like ALL of your suggestions, and am planning as we speak!:D

If I could make, "Heads or Tails" of T-Mans lighting using diodes, having some on the roof & boom would be cool!:laugh:

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Jim,

Do you ever come up for air? So many projects on your end ... so many projects!

By pure coincidence, I happened to see a pair of cranes just like this recently listed on ebay. I'm sure that the seller said something like, "original chain missing, now restrung with string."

I like Reckers idea about using black fishing leader wire ... it would look very lifelike. However (sorry here, Reck) ... I'd be concerned that leader wire wouldn't have adequate flexibility to bend and turn around the pulleys. I think you'd be fighting its stiffness, and not have it "drape" over turning point too well. My two cents ...

Is all of this REALLY for the grandkids, or are you enjoying the "play time" too?!?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
TJ,

Good point. How about either very heavy woven fishing line (non metallic) or carpet thread? The latter is heavy thread---sewing stores, possibly walmart would have it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*@%#^%@$#^@&!!!!

I wondered what that corroded chain in the bottom of the box was!!! I tossed it!!:mad:

TJ, I spent 40 years, owning and managing restaurants. Took a toll on me, and now, after having some major surgeries, am retired. If I didn't have this and my furniture building, I'd lose what little is left of my mind:laugh:

Reckers, the majority of my things spent the last 40 years in a garage in Florida. They were stored in boxes marked, "Old Christmas Decorations!" When my mother passed away, we found all my stuff, so it really was like, "Christmas:D"

Since I started learning and working on the trains, I've only bought 4 rolling stock, 2-whistling tenders and 8 Engines(4-2026, 2-deisels, 2-300's and none were running-bought cheap) I used the 4 2026's to make 3, all re-paints, re-built the E-units(with the help of people here:))

I have, and continue to enjoy the challenges and even more so, the learning. There is an incredible, "Wealth of Knowledge" on this site, and I intend on learning all that I can(except for T-Mans Diodes:D)

Ya'll, are the best!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Jim,

Sounds like your mind and talents are working just fine. Keep up the great work, and keep those grandkids happy and proud!

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
I wondered what that corroded chain in the bottom of the box was!!! I tossed it!!:mad:

Since I started learning and working on the trains, I've only bought 4 rolling stock, 2-whistling tenders and 8 Engines(4-2026, 2-deisels, 2-300's and none were running-bought cheap) I used the 4 2026's to make 3, all re-paints, re-built the E-units(with the help of people here:))

I have, and continue to enjoy the challenges and even more so, the learning. There is an incredible, "Wealth of Knowledge" on this site, and I intend on learning all that I can(except for T-Mans Diodes:D)

Ya'll, are the best!:thumbsup:

Didn't we tell you never throw anything out?
You are a whirwind with your projects. Keep it up. You will want to know more about diodes. Sooner than you think.:)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
You tossed it!

We did tell you not to toss anything away.:D

While I am at stops delivering chemicals I constantly look around for anything of interest to bring home.

I find all kinds of little pieces of metal,plastic,wood,wire etc laying around.
I pick it up and put it in my truck. The guy that is unloading me thinks I am nuts for some of the cool garbage I pick up. Pieces of rubber,rocks and broken glass too.
He asks what the heck are you going to do with it.:laugh:

I don't know what I am going to do with some of it but if I need it I got it to incorporate into the layout somehow.

When I get home I put them in my junk find box. :thumbsup:

Get your self a junk box and instead of throwing anything away put it in your junk box.
You don't need that big of a box......at first.:rolleyes:

You never know when you will need a cool piece of junk.:D:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Big Ed,

That's too funny. Suppose in your travels, you find an even better "junk find box"? Where would you put THAT? In the other junk find box? Or by itself ... opening up a whole NEW world of "it's gotta be good for something" opportunities?

And on a related note, you've got me feeling a bit guilty. The next time a make a sandwich and finish off a loaf of bread, I hereby promise to take that little twist-tie thingy and put it in my very own, brand new, land-of-opportunity "junk find box".

Honest ...

TJ

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Ed,

I was the same way----today's useless scrap is tomorrow's raw material for "I can make one of those!! My problem, now, is getting rid of so much of my scrap because I can no longer fit it into the new place!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need you guys to tell that to my wife! She(and my children & grandchildren) already call me, "The King of Pack Rats!" Went to a garage sale several weeks ago, saw this beat up old Victrola cabinet for $5. Bought it and took it home. Wife called me various and sundry names for adding to my already huge inventory of, "Junk!"
Her tune has changed though, as that old "Victrola Cabinet" is slowly becoming a very attractive bar cabinet!:D Now she wants to keep that, "Junk!"

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I'd love to find a cabinet like that! I have a 1929 Victrola, but no good place to keep that pile of 78 rpm records!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So Many Projects!

It's going to be a beaut!

Take a look at the speaker covering piece. I'm going to light the cabinets interior and use opaque glass behind this. Should be "cool!":D

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Jeez, you guys ... give me a break, huh ...

I was jealous a few weeks ago seeing pics of Reckers Victrola. Now Jim's touting pics of the neat details of his Victrola.

And here I am ... sitting here Victrolaless ... as my wife walks around the house wearing her IPod thingy. Sure, it plays music ... but does it play HISTORY? <=== Noooooo!

So go easy here, guys ...

TJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boo-Hoo:)

TJ, I wish I could shed a tear or two for you, but it gonna happen:D

I live about 20+ miles outside of Richmond, Virginia. Train shows here leave much to be desired, and considering I moved down here from Northern Virginia to get away from the, "Insanity", won't drive to aywhere that there's traffic(and crazies that drive in it:laugh:) So no shows, just that Bay thingy:thumbsdown:

You on the other hand, line up north, where just about everyone had a set of trains as a child(had to have something to do in those cold, snowy, winters), and the amount of antiques still floating around is boundless. Here, most of our antiques were either burned or confiscated by you Yankees, and our younguns, are told to go outside and play(we have warmer weather as a rule):D So, not many trains, here, "In The Heart of Dixie!":laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Jim,

Antique shops galore up here in the North ... not many with cheap prices, though.

As a complete sidenote, there's a show on cable TV that I've managed to watch a few times. A couple of guys run a junk swap shop, and they go around the country trying to find people with barns and such on their property filled with 50 years of odds and ends. Lots of it crazy /junky stuff, but these guys always, ALWAYS find the most amazing treasures, barter a bit, shake on a deal, and walk away with some goodies and HUGE smiles on their faces (and likely some future profit for their wallets, too.) I can't remember the name of the show, but I'll try to dig it out. Boy, what fun would it be to tag around with those guys for a few days/weeks. Pokin' around in old barns, basements, etc. Sign me up!

TJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Crane Update

The rust on this thing was a PITA!:laugh:

I sanded(ever tried to sand pressed, metal, ladders?), primed, sanded, primed, and finally said, "the hell with it!":laugh:

I decided to go with the black satin for the whole frame. I was afraid the dull color would get lost in the set-up. I bought some yellow, fluorescent paint that I'm going to use on the steps and for the crane base stripping.:D

Reckers, went to 3 LHS, no trim! Said they'd order it dor me. Instead, I bought a bag of Basswood that has assorted widths and lengths, and will make my own doors, windows and signs.

For the windows, I'm going to use the clear plastic from the lids of take out containors. It's strong, clear and easily cut. I figure if I glue it between 2 pieces of window framing, it will retain it's form and be easily replaced if need be:)

As far as window panes, I've decided that a crane operator wouldn't appreciate having his(or her:D), vision blocked, so no, stinking, panes!

Haven't found pics yet to use for the operator. Have found incredible signs, a whole sheet I copied off an industrial sign makers web site. When I printed it out, the size was perfect for my needs!

here are some pics of the progress(not put together yet), and the sign sheet.

Jim

1 - 20 of 84 Posts