Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across an older United brass 2-10-4 that was in relatively good shape and was at a price I could afford so I went ahead on eBay and won the auction. My thought is I have an old junker proto 2000 e8 that I bought at the train show months ago for $20 as a parts loco. I’m thinking about installing that motor into the 2-10-4 but I’m not sure if I should do that or buy a flat can motor from nwsl. Anyone else have any input on my thoughts?

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
I don't know anything about either loco, but my opinion is...if you're going through the work of changing motors, put in a new can. It's modern and...NEW!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with that being the best route but my issue is do I wait for hard saying how long for nwsl get one from China or use the one I have laying around that I know runs good. I also have an athearn blue box rdc that was rubber band drive which has a 5 pole motor that’s low amperage I could use too. Athearn seemed to have a reasonable motor in their blue box locos

·
Registered
828 Posts
There some great motors you can get on eBay for just a few bucks and not have to pick apart one of your other locos.

Post up a pic of the motor you're replacing and\or it's dimensions and I bet we can find a good replacement for you.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up tracking down a few cannon en22 motors and ordered up drive line kits and flywheels. I like the cannon brand of motors but have had issues tracking down the en22 flat can motor I’ve only found the dn22 which is a round motor that’s hard to fit into a steam loco

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up getting the motors in this afternoon so after supper I went straight to my work bench on a mission. Did the motor swap and tested it then I ended up doing the dcc install on it. The cannon motor I installed makes that locomotive pull like a tank! 46 cars up a grade and the cvs aren’t even set to that motor. I ended up pulling the decoder out of an old rivarossi 0-6-0 switch loco that was turned way back so it didn’t go 1400 scale miles an hour. I got the motor swap kit from cv back shop on eBay. I got the wrong motors at first then Anthony sent me the ones I asked for with expedited shipping for no charge and told me to keep the original motors! Great seller if anyone sees this and may be looking for a good seller. A cannon dn22 with flywheel and flex coupling for $25 isn’t a terrible price. He even includes instructions on how to do the installs and stands behind his kits. Great guy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts