Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's not appropriate to say "Happy Memorial Day," just as you wouldn't celebrate a loved one's funeral.
This is a time to remember our fallen, it should be a somber reminder of the brave sacrifice men and women have made to keep the United States a free and just society.
Memorial Day is for them.

How will your Memorial Day be different this year?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
When I was growing up my mother always called it Decoration Day

To honor the deceased, soldiers would decorate graves of their fallen comrades with flowers, flags and wreaths. Hence Decoration Day. Although Memorial Day became its official title in the 1880s, the holiday wouldn’t legally become Memorial Day until 1967.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
As a Veteran, I always say howdy to fellow Veterans when I see them (can usually tell by the hat). God bless everyone who served, living or dead. Our country survives because of what we did. May she continue!

·
Registered
868 Posts
View attachment 543010 View attachment 543011

It's not appropriate to say "Happy Memorial Day," just as you wouldn't celebrate a loved one's funeral.
This is a time to remember our fallen, it should be a somber reminder of the brave sacrifice men and women have made to keep the United States a free and just society.
Memorial Day is for them.

How will your Memorial Day be different this year?
The celebrations surrounding Memorial Day are no more intended to celebrate the death of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country than a wake is to celebrate the death of a loved one but rather to celebrate that deceased person's life and the happiness their life brought to those who knew her or him and so similarly, people across our country celebrate this long weekend to both solemnly remember those fallen soldiers but also to commemorate the enduring freedoms the sacrifices made by those honored soldiers have ensured us.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True ogaugeguy, but a sad fact is that to a lot, it is just a day off from work.

I have 2 flags out. One in the front yard one in the back.
My solar path lights are set to red/white/blue....red/white/blue.......red/white/blue....red/white/blue. (12 lights)
I can set them to eight different colors, so for the patriotic holidays I set them to that color scheme.
I also have an electric 4' x 3' American flag that I mount in my bay window. It lights up red/white/blue. Only goes there for a few days around the patriotic holidays. The stars twinkle. I think it was handmade. Looks good.
I picked it up out of a pile of junk that was set out on the curb for the yearly bulk trash pickup day. It was my next door neighbor who was an electrician that was tossing it along with a bunch of other old Christmas articles. I didn't ask but I think he made it up.

I have seen a rise in flags being flown around my neighborhood, but most just fly them a certain times of the year.
My front yard flag fly's 24/7. Yes I have a light on it. If we are supposed to get really bad weather I bring it in. My backyard flag comes in every night. I have to get some kind of solar light to mount over it yet.

Around here right after 911 you saw American flags everywhere, slowly they have disappeared.

Normally there are a lot of gatherings I know of, this year because of this damn virus there are few. :(

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The United States death rate by Corona virus will soon reach 25% of those US Military killed in World War II. Think of it. We have doubled the number killed in Viet Nam, and when we reach just over 100,000, our death total will be 25% of those who died in service of our freedom, and that of the world.

Please remember those who have given their lives for this nation on this Memorial Day weekend.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The Hong Kong Flu of 1968 killed an estimated 100,000 in the US. About the current number of US Covid-19 deaths. But in 1968, the US population was ~200M. In 2020 the population is ~340M. So the equivalent death rate today would be when the US reaches ~170,000 Covid-19 fatalities. Like Covid-19, the heaviest toll from the Hing Kong Flu was on those 65 and older. In 2020, the percentage of the population over 65 is much higher than it was in 1968. Couple that with indications that obesity contributes to the severity of Covid-19 effects. The US obesity rate has skyrocketed in the last few decades.

Given the above, SWAG would suggest 250,000 US Covid-19 fatalities would be equivalent to the Hing Kong Flu. in terms of severity of the disease.

Like most other corona virus (e.g., common cold) I don't believe it will be completely eradicated. The real reason for the shutdown is its rapid transmission and resulting overwhelming peak demand on health care facilities. That needed to be managed by a shutdown - to slow the transmission rate and manage the demand on on healthcare.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
True ogaugeguy, but a sad fact is that to a lot, it is just a day off from work.

I have 2 flags out. One in the front yard one in the back.
For all all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice for freedom - generations enjoying backyard parties is a just reward. A grand illustration of why they rose to the occasion. Though it is a shame more don't truly understand the significance. And perhaps, as time goes by, that's also good, They created a nation able to enjoy its freedom without the agony of the past.

A nice breeze today in norther NJ, Bill. I hope your flags are gently fluttering.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
General George S. Patton said it in an interesting way.....

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.

Speech at the Copley Plaza Hotel, Boston, Massachusetts (7 June 1945), quoted in Patton : Ordeal and Triumph (1970) by Ladislas Farago

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Nice sentiments everyone.

I used to participate in the town’s Memorial Day parade with my 1953 Army truck. Unfortunately people, including members of the local VFW seemed to forget the solemnity of the occasion by highlighting firetrucks, loud motorcycles and fireworks in the parade. The parade organizers slowly minimized the military presence in the parade, even the National Guard who showed up with vehicles and servicemen. They were placed at the very end of the parade. It just didn’t seem right anymore.

I declined participation in recent years due in part to the prevailing attitudes, health and mechanical issues with my truck. Instead, my son and I visit an abandoned cemetery and clean up the grave of long forgotten Civil War veteran, placing a flag when we are finished.

This year, no parade at all, thanks to Covid19. Sad.

Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts