Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by Menards this morning, sign at front door with the following virus restrictions.

Masks required for entry, if you don't have one, they have em for a $1.00

No children under 16

No dogs allowed except service dogs.
I guess I can't take Tulsa over there anymore.

Bill

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
We shall wear masks here. Everyone does in the stores that are open and this helps one feel not so silly. I have a slightly used n95 mask I got for others reasons that I wear. But most people wear some kind of cloth one that they either made or bought... Many have some kind of design in them. When I walk out of the store I immediately take mine off, assuming I'm not in a crowded area. The register areas are now are surrounded by plexiglass shielding. Workers shall wear masks. I've never seen anyone buck it. I did see someone reminded who'd forgot there's.. they immediately fetched it from the car. The stores that are walk-in open here have customer limits. This appears from a distance to be enforced. I go super early when I have gone so have not experienced it. Beyond grocery, hardware and beer stores... some stores here offer curbside pickup. Call or order online and then get it. I bought some things from my closest to me hobby shop this way.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
A necessary evil, unfortunately, to help keep Covid-19 from spreading especially to vulnerable members of the population (which probably includes a disproportionate number of model railroaders).

Most places now offer curbside pickup and on-line or phone-in ordering.

Despite a lack of legal penalties for not wearing a mask, compliance here in SE Connecticut has been very high, with few complaints.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Our nursing homes are "destroyed". Maryland has now tested them all and staff. You can see the results on the MD Dept of health website if you are so inclined. This thing loves high density housing in which the residents can't self barricade. On the other hand if you look at the by zip code numbers and had familiarity with the area you'd see steep fall offs where few live. From what I can tell here... We've reached a kind of steady state but appear to have no obvious way to bring it down... and people are getting a little stir crazy. While I think we ought to go for a real month long lockdown with say the national guard delivering MREs and water ... There'd be little support now for it. Perhaps we should have started there when everyone was terrified. Our death rate and hospitalizations have never really gone down...just flattened out.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
They made masks mandatory for inside stores here in NJ. Still people don’t understand cross contamination and constantly touch their face with gloved hands while adjusting their masks.

They provide a false sense of security. I dont wear them at work, opting for distancing and washing my hands often, with hand sanitizer in between.

just my take on it...

Tom

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
While I'm a tad skeptical of usefulness of anything but universal well fitting n95 masks... I've gone along with it.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Yes true. Most masks aren’t fitted well. In NJ, you only need a ”face covering” when in a store, whether it is a mask or a bandanna...

Tom

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I guess if you are actively coughing into one... Maybe. Personally I get a little negative about it all. It just doesn't seem without more intensive efforts, we can actually go down. I look at the death rates and hospitalizations. Yes they bobble a bit have stay stubbornly high. That to me means we haven't found much to help...yet. Given a vaccine is at best months away, I can't see getting anywhere approaching normal without therepeutics that blunt the risks of acute responses to a level most people would shrug off.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Maybe we all ought to be wearing hijabs! Maybe we all will someday!! :eek:

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
I guess if you are actively coughing into one... Maybe. Personally I get a little negative about it all. It just doesn't seem without more intensive efforts, we can actually go down. I look at the death rates and hospitalizations. Yes they bobble a bit have stay stubbornly high. That to me means we haven't found much to help...yet. Given a vaccine is at best months away, I can't see getting anywhere approaching normal without therepeutics that blunt the risks of acute responses to a level most people would shrug off.
The purpose of social distancing isn't to cure or fix anything. Only antiviral drugs and vaccines can do that (or natural immunity in people who have been exposed or infected). It's to reduce the rate of new infections to a level that can be managed by the healthcare system. Most places have successfully achieved that, provided they don't relax those measures too far and too quickly.

The purpose of the mask is to reduce or eliminate the droplets of saliva and mucus sprayed when talking, sneezing, coughing, etc. Yes, even breathing. This is the primary vector (means of spreading) the virus. Under normal circumstances, 90% of these droplets fall harmlessly to the ground within 6'. So reducing the number of airborne droplets and staying outside the distance most of them travel is an excellent way to reduce -- but not eliminate -- the spread. The latest research suggests that contaminated surfaces is not a significant vector, except in rare instances of extremely high concentrations. When you hear, "the virus can remain viable on hard surfaces for up to 72 hours)", that means that some particles are detectable, not that the concentration is still high enough to be a threat to a person with a normal immune response. Something like 90% of the virus is inactive after about 8 hours, less if it's exposed to a lot of UV radiation (like outside).

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I understand all that. I see a lot of loose and rickety masks being worn improperly. Plus as it gets warmer, those things are uncomfortable. I also do not see much progress otherwise. No plan to land the plane. It appears to more of a crash, uncontrolled.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I've heard it said that your mask isn't on your face to protect you, but everyone around you.....so if everyone wears one, that should cover all the bases, as much as we can right now, without a real medical solution......

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
I've heard it said that your mask isn't on your face to protect you, but everyone around you.....so if everyone wears one, that should cover all the bases, as much as we can right now, without a real medical solution......
Yes, that's a shorter way of saying what I did. The mask doesn't really keep YOU from being exposed, it keeps you from exposing others.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
ok but a well fitting N95 mask better should help with any incoming particular. although having used the things in a dusty environment (my attic) -- I never really thought they (N95) worked that well. I mean they do work some -- that's clear but they aren't a completely blocker or perhaps the ones I have aren't a seal. On the other other hand, I've gotten better in regards to a tight seal. I forgot also I was wearing a beard the last time I had them on the attic -- so that could be part of it.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
I'll just wear my NIOSH-approved dual cartridge respirator. Do you suppose that would qualify?
Yes, if the filters are fine enough.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
ok but a well fitting N95 mask better should help with any incoming particular. although having used the things in a dusty environment (my attic) -- I never really thought they (N95) worked that well. I mean they do work some -- that's clear but they aren't a completely blocker or perhaps the ones I have aren't a seal. On the other other hand, I've gotten better in regards to a tight seal. I forgot also I was wearing a beard the last time I had them on the attic -- so that could be part of it.
Beards definitely prevent sealing. But the problem is that the N95 mask will stop the droplets, but not the virus particles. You can still breathe them in through the mask.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts