Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for some cars to go with my MTH Milwaukee GP-7 for some time now and when Menard's came out with these recently I new I had to purchase the 8 pack. What a great price!

https://www.menards.com/main/home-d...21191928-c-13318.htm?tid=-7858790253378433862

20160205_161730.jpg

I've read a lot of horror stories about the trucks on the Menard cars but I have to say I'm quite impressed with ones that are on this set. So far I've had no coupling issues on any of the cars and they look really strong. I don't see any of the flashing issues I've read about on the boxcars. The wheels did need to be oiled right away to keep from squeeking. I believe Menard's recommends that anyway.

Now to find a Milwaukee Road bay window caboose to go with this set and I'll be happy. :smilie_daumenpos:

20160205_155449.jpg

20160205_155523.jpg

20160205_155607.jpg

20160205_155529.jpg

20160205_155538.jpg

20160205_160437.jpg

Attachments

·
Admin
44,781 Posts
Good stuff for the price. I'm impressed that you didn't have any coupler issues out of eight cars, but remember I had thirty together when the coupler issues surfaced. ;) When you put more weight on them, they will separate. I solved it by just gluing the couplers, I don't need these to operate anyway.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had coupler issues with Lionel, K-line, and Williams cars at around 30 cars requiring modification to resolve. I don't plan on running trains that long consistently on any of my layouts. Now I want to try it and see though.

Now my atlas box cars with plastic trucks will literally shoot off the track on curves at about 10 cars. Now that is funny

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
This is the Lionel version of the same car.
Post War hoppers with loads 001.jpg
This is the Williams reproductions model.
Lionel nad Williams Quad hoppers 004.jpg
There is a slight difference in the inside dimensions. The load for the Lionel car has to be shortened very slightly to fit the Williams car, but the width is the same. What are the inside dimensions?
Don

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have @12 Menards cars and the only problem I have had was a truck that
was a little tight and not letting it roll freely. Pushing the side frames out a
bit solved the problem. The first thing I do is oil all axle ends. I have not had
any coupler issues but I run trains with maximum length, usually, of ten cars.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've attached some images showing the internal dimensions. I don't have the lionel or williams to compare to. The fake coal load looks pretty good to me. Better than some of my lionel ore cars that is for sure. The interior isn't very detailed but I don't think it's usually going to be empty :)

20160206_224009.jpg

20160206_224127.jpg

20160206_224229.jpg

20160206_224236.jpg

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Good looking consist.

I have been purchasing Menards rolling stock for about 10 years now. The first couple years the Menards exclusive rolling stock was manufactured by Lionel. Menards then went to another manufacture and the early plastic trucks always needed work, usually a little grinding on the inside of the nuckel, just too tight.

Since then Menards has transistioned to diecast trucks, a huge improvement but still not to the quality of Lionel or MTH trucks. But, Menards rolling stock at $20 to $25 compared to Lionel's traditional rolling stock of $40 to $50 justifies the difference.

I have about 20 of the Menards boxcars with diecast trucks. Had to install a thicker washer underneath the C clip on 2 and that is the only issue so far. Never had all 20 in a single consist so can't talk about the uncoupling issue, they do have a drag compared to Lionel or MTH.

Bill

·
Admin
44,781 Posts
The more cars you add to a consist with the Menard's cars, the worse the coupler issues will be. Since they do have more rolling resistance than the modern Lionel/MTH needle-point axle trucks, it exacerbates the issue. Like you say, they're still a great deal for the price. :)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I just bought that Menard's hopper. It does look good!
Just noticed the sequential numbering. Nice touch!

Just for giggles, the processing fees were $2.80. (I don't know if everyone gets that)
The shipping to Arizona was $6.20. Not too bad.
The nice thing is, we are not one of the states that demands sales tax be paid on internet orders.
So no sales tax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love Menards stuff! Allows me to run wonderful consists that wouldn't be possible at the price of other cars! I think they are changing the hobby and for the better! Just sayin!

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I just bought that Menard's hopper. It does look good!
Just noticed the sequential numbering. Nice touch!

Just for giggles, the processing fees were $2.80. (I don't know if everyone gets that)
The shipping to Arizona was $6.20. Not too bad.
The nice thing is, we are not one of the states that demands sales tax be paid on internet orders.
So no sales tax.
We have two Menards locally so I have the items shipped to the store. No shipping fee or processing fees in shipping to the store.

Bill

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I just got my Menard's hopper car. Very impressed with the quality for such low bucks.

Only one small problem: the trucks hit the corner steps around turns.
They are too long. (Or the trucks are too tall)
They either have to be cut down or, as I did, bend them slightly out of the way.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I just got my Menard's hopper car. Very impressed with the quality for such low bucks.

Only one small problem: the trucks hit the corner steps around turns.
They are too long. (Or the trucks are too tall)
They either have to be cut down or, as I did, bend them slightly out of the way.

What curve radius are the couplers hitting the steps ?

Bill

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting, my smallest curve is 031 and there are no issues there. Only thing I've had to do is oil the wheels twice in the last 2 weeks. I'm running them about 8 hours a day on my ceiling layout.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
When I first opened the plastic case it was in, I immediately felt a "click" from the trucks.
I thought it was the coupler hitting, considering the many issues the coupler has been having.
Nope, it was the step.

I then put the car on a straight track, leading into a curve. The truck hit the step when it was completely into the curve.

But if that's the only issue I'm gonna have, I'll just live with it. You can't beat the deal on those cars for the buck.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I've attached some images showing the internal dimensions. I don't have the lionel or williams to compare to. The fake coal load looks pretty good to me. Better than some of my lionel ore cars that is for sure. The interior isn't very detailed but I don't think it's usually going to be empty :)

What do the the measurements convert to in inches? I was never a fan of the metric system.
Don

1 - 20 of 41 Posts