Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in our local Menards yesterday and the train aisle was set-up with product. I did not see any brand new product, looked like all product, buildings & rolling stock, was from last year.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would say it stems back to the supply issue. They must be just taking out of the warehouse right now while the new stuff is on the way. Probably still on a ship somewhere.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I don't have a Menards anywhere near me, but I'm glad to see you posting this Bill. I don't think I've seen you here for a year or so.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say it stems back to the supply issue. They must be just taking out of the warehouse right now while the new stuff is on the way. Probably still on a ship somewhere.
Yep, Mark the Menards guy stated that they have a lot of product on order but the Chinese manufactures are struggling at the factories. And as you stated the transportation pipeline is in gridlock.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome back Bill I’ve certainly missed your posts.
Hi Spence, yep, been a Heck of a year. The Seattle & Yakima Railroad edition 5 is history. No layout for the past year, bigtime withdrawal. Will post what a series of events over the past year that put a hold on my electric train hobby.

Bill

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have not checked my local Menards and I am in the middle of their territory. I have monitored some of their buildings on eBay and I won’t pay eBay prices. So if they want to pull a building out and sell it for list, and I can use it, I’ll buy it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi Spence, yep, been a Heck of a year. The Seattle & Yakima Railroad edition 5 is history. No layout for the past year, bigtime withdrawal. Will post what a series of events over the past year that put a hold on my electric train hobby.
I saw you vanished from all forums. I have to admit, I feared the worst! Welcome back.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did anyone else see the review of the first prototype Menards engine in CTT? They could completely change the market, makes me wonder if MTH saw the writing on the wall.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw you vanished from all forums. I have to admit, I feared the worst! Welcome back.
I got the boot from OGR right about the time Mike Wolf announced his retirement. I tried to log in and got the message that my account was disabled. A few of the regulars over there were throwing barbs at Mike and I responded to take a fricking break, Mike deserves to retire and to enjoy his senior years. I guess I hurt some feelings over there.

Bill

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I got the boot from OGR right about the time Mike Wolf announced his retirement. I tried to log in and got the message that my account was disabled. A few of the regulars over there were throwing barbs at Mike and I responded to take a fricking break, Mike deserves to retire and to enjoy his senior years. I guess I hurt some feelings over there.

Bill
Strange. I just “signed up” again for OGR but not sure if I was approved.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Menard's is coming out with a plethora of very interesting stuff this fall. Check out their ad and video on the model train portion of their website.

And with the current economic and shipping pipeline debacle going on, I imagine we'll start seeing at least some of it after the holiday season.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Bill
Welcome to the club, Bill. A fair amount of ex-OGRe members have found their way here and/or a few other forums.

A few months after I got the boot, I stumbled across a couple of older threads that I had contributed to. My posts were still on there, along with my user name. In older times, I noticed they would remove the user's name and replace it with "Former Member". Okay, now I'm just guessing here, BUT...............I'll bet nowadays they just leave your name on your posts and leave you as a 'member' after they 'Disable' your account. That way, they can artificially inflate their number of members as justification to suck in as many paid sponsors as they possibly can.

Like I say, just guessing, and I could be wrong. But based on their M.O. over the past few years, I have to wonder. At any rate, I checked their forum last night, for the first time in a few months. I found virtually all of their new topics to be about as exciting as watching grass grow. Either it's part of the season, or else a projection of their future. Oh well, at this point in time, it's N-scale water under the O-gauge bridge.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did anyone else see the review of the first prototype Menards engine in CTT? They could completely change the market, makes me wonder if MTH saw the writing on the wall.
I am guessing that Menards locos will be a competitor of Williams by Bachmann. Since Menards locos will be conventional I doubt that Lionel, Atlas or the revamped MTH are losing much sleep over the new kid on the block.

Bill

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I am guessing that Menards locos will be a competitor of Williams by Bachmann. Since Menards locos will be conventional I doubt that Lionel, Atlas or the revamped MTH are losing much sleep over the new kid on the block.

Bill
Actually, it's more like Lionchief down to the look of the controller. But they will have to fix some things before they sell to the public. Mine stops so abruptly that the cars behind it derail more often than not.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
Menards must afraid to expand their stores Eastward?
Spending too much money on racing. :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yep, Mark the Menards guy stated that they have a lot of product on order but the Chinese manufactures are struggling at the factories. And as you stated the transportation pipeline is in gridlock.
As I recall didn't Menards have a supply/shipping problem last year? As I recall Menards had several shipping containers of product stuck in port and railroad shipping woes to boot. Shipping woes are not Menards fault by any means.
Our Menards just transferred the Train Stuff from the loft at the store to the seasonal display area behind the checkout area. No new Train Stuff was on display.
As far as the Transportation Pipeline Gridlock is concerned it is probably for real. But to claim a "National Shortage" of goods for Christmas is concerned it just seems to me to be a way to get people to panic buy Holiday items. Stimulate the economy by Panic Buying.
IMHO there is not a shortage of goods especially when there are multi dozens Container Ships anchored off shore filled to the brim with goods.

MY $0.03 WORTH NOW ADJUSTED FOR INFLATION

Oh Yeah. Welcome back Seayakbill.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I attempted to order the Menards diesel but I was a couple hours to late. Never saw a locomotive sell out so quickly. It will be interesting if there will be a improved version offered in the near future. Certainly would order a BN or Amtrak version.

Bill

·
Registered
277 Posts
I attempted to order the Menards diesel but I was a couple hours to late. Never saw a locomotive sell out so quickly. It will be interesting if there will be a improved version offered in the near future. Certainly would order a BN or Amtrak version.

Bill
I don't mind a bit that I missed out on it. That release definitely needed some improvements. And indeed, it was sold as thus - to have the first 200 units QC'd and Beta-tested by the few "lucky" :rolleyes: folks that tripped all over themselves to get one on order. The next release should incorporate most, if not all, the suggested improvements, or at the bare minimum have the throttle control and horn issues resolved.

So don't feel bad that you were a few hours too late in that early feeding frenzy. In my opinion, the the luckiest folks of all will end up being the ones that missed out on that initial test batch. ;)(y)

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they offered BN or Amtrak or both in their first big release. If they offer my favorite road name in a decent early paint scheme, I'll be in for one (or more). If not, I'll wait until they do. And if they never do, not a big deal, I guess I won't be owning any. :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts