Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening Everyone,

One of my fellow club members made a road trip to Mercer Junction last Saturday and picked up our new MTH custom run Union Railroad green/yellow #17 MP15DC engines. They turned out great. The Union RR only has two engines painted in this scheme-MP15DC #17 and SW1500 #3.

I did some minor detailing on my engine to match the prototype. The Union RR normally operates their lead engines cab first. The MTH engine comes with the engineer/conductor figures facing forward in the cab(long hood forward). I removed the shell and gently pried the figures/seats apart from the shell. I then re-glued them into positions facing the rear of the cab as per normal Union practice. I also added the obligatory Coleman style cooler on top of the battery box outside the rear of the cab. Nearly all of the prototype Union engines have these coolers(either red/white or blue/white) mounted there. Thanks for Dave at Mercer for doing these

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lee,

About a year and a half ago, a train enthusiast in Tennessee(John Peyton IIRC) 3-D printed me 10 of these Coleman coolers. I emailed him a couple pictures of what I wanted and he took it from there. A bit of trial and error for him but the coolers came out good. Only minor sanding/filing to clean them up a little.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Machinist, You've got to guzzy that unit up. Way too clean for the Pittsburg based switching operations of coal, coke and slag. It is a beauty and nice authentication with your changes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Machinist, You've got to guzzy that unit up. Way too clean for the Pittsburg based switching operations of coal, coke and slag. It is a beauty and nice authentication with your changes.
Of course you're right, but I just can't bring myself to weather my Union engines. I like clean & shiny too much. The engines that the Union use over the road for hauling between facilities don't look too bad, but the engines that stay in the confines of each facility for switching duty take a beating and it's not long before they aren't pretty anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts