Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Tyco Midnight Special body. I want to put something smooth and slick under it. Maybe an Athearn F7?

Can anyone suggest a good powered chassis that would be suitable? How do you think I should go about finding a match?

I don't care what kind of powered chassis, I just want something smooth.

Here is the body I have:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don't know about fit, but if you post the distance between the trucks and the distance from the center of each truck to the end of the body I'll compare to an F7 Athearn body.

If the lengths work out, it's possible the Athearn F7 Mounting lugs might line up (maybe with some modification) with the weight mounting holes on the Tyco Baldwin RF-16.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ok I measure them tonight. Are there different models of Athearn F7 bodies?
I don't know this for sure but I'm guessing the newer Athearn are a bit different than the older blue box. But the frames were basically the same from the 70's through the 90's. The main changes were in the trucks and motors throughout that time frame.

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
The real shark nose (Baldwin RF-16) locomotives were 4 feet longer than a standard F unit....don’t know if the models were true representations of the real ones as regards to length....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts