Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm halfway through building a Suydam engine house that is made of pressed sheet metal similar to the lid of a tin can:

With regards to painting it, I thought rather than painting over the whole thing, I'd flat coat it then spray on a light coat of rust with an airbrush. What do you think?

·
Registered
8,146 Posts
Except, if the real engine house was made of galvanized steel, it shouldn’t be rusty, at least not the whole thing.....

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Your layout, your rules. But since you asked my opinion...

Paint it. Even with a matte coating, it won't look like any engine house I've ever seen.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Nor I. I would think that a real builder would at least use corrugated sheet metal for strength unless they were using something really heavy duty like 8 or 10 ga steel. Or with an overkill of internal support for a lighter gauge. What do I know about building steel structures though???

I would probably try and simulate some type of a stucco finish, or use photo printed card stock in some kind of brick or stone pattern. I don't know what era it's from, but judging by the arched window openings I would say from the turn of the last century into the 30's.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
It's obviously a mobile engine house, built to take down easily for transport. Why bring the locomotive to the engine house when you can take the engine house to the locomotive? :)

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Perhaps est a random left over piece with this idea: I use "well used" paint thinner - that I've cleaned brushes in and such, to the point it has turned a bit ditrty, and wash the shiny metal and let it dry, then apply the matt. Looks real to me.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
The roof on this one looks like it might be corrugated steel.
The roof, definitely, you could get away with a matte finish and some weathering, especially if it is already in a corrugated or ribbed pattern. But not the whole thing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be producing this kit as-built, so the sides will stay corrugated. I routed through google images and all the rusty corrugated and galvanzed buildings were old and the individual sheets of metal were unevenly attached. Many obvious repairs as well. The walls on the kit are too even to be an old building.

Maybe just flat coat will be best.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
How are you sticking it together? I would think some sort of grey with an ink wash. Maybe some dirt or rust from the window sills. Interesting kit!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Except, if the real engine house was made of galvanized steel, it shouldn’t be rusty, at least not the whole thing.....
Galvanized metal DOES rust, so if the house has been around for a while it could get pretty rusty.

He did say a "light" airbrushing of rust.... however for a "light" rust application, which is more likely to be spotty areas of rust I'd go more with paints and powders, and weather it by hand not airbrush.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Dip it in some salt solution.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts