Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a question, hopefully someone knows something about this :). I've been doing some research into meter gauge (specifically Northern Chile's Ferronor & FCAB).

Ferronor has an ex-Alaska GP49 which they threw C-C trucks onto. I believe that has to do to the fact that the GP49 runs @ 2800hp and the motors-if in B-B-would underpowered to utilize the full 2800hp.

Now, the GR12s & G12s (some) use C-C too. However these locos only run at about 1300hp. Some G12s were built to B-B while many others were built to A-1-A. The A-1-A, I understand,was for weight distribution on light lines. But the C-Cs, what was the purpose of that? The 1300hp was good enough for the A-1-A correct? Or does that have to do with tractive effort? However I am confused if you would get higher tractive effort with more powered wheels, as that would reduce the weight on each wheel (are they called drivers on a diesel-electric?).

There is also the matter of the EMD DDM45, which is running @ 3600hp and uses D-D trucks. I'm guessing that extra 800hp makes the difference between needing C-C and D-D/BB-BB.

So here's my hypothetical question. Let's pretend that I wanted a surplus SD38-2 for only slow-speed heavy switching, say hauling ore loads to a loading pier or whatever. I know that they could fit the smaller meter gauge C-C trucks in GP49 where the large standard gauge B-B trucks normally would go. With the SD38-2, I'm guessing that there is enough space under there to fit meter gauge D-D trucks. Maybe BB-BB too, maybe not.

At 2000hp for the SD38, running D-D trucks in meter gauge, but geared for heavy yard work & never exceeding say 20 or 30mph, I'm guessing that would be sufficient HP to power 16 meter gauge motors, because the SD38 weights quite a bit, which is ideal for yard work I believe.

So my questions (finally) are:

- Does that make sense and NOT have to run the prime mover at Notch 8 in yard duty just to do slow yard work with 16 motors.
- Could you hook up a SD38-2 Slug, with the mother running at Notch whatever, with a total of 32 motors and 368 tons of locomotives, and only working at 8-20mph, and have 2000hp be enough. I wouldn't ideally want to run at Notch 8 FULL time as that would probably kill the engine much quicker if it's workload was 100% 100% of the time.

I do realize that using other options would be and could be better, like a SD70 or AC4400CW or something... But let's pretend that my railroad got a REALLY amazing deal on 2x SD38-2s, but we needed something for heavy yard work. Like Marquette, Michigan iron ore hauling up grade onto a loading pier. They currently use the new generation EMD or GE's (don't remember). But let's say I didn't have the cash to buy or lease those, but I could afford these really cheap SD38-2s.

Okay that's my big long question. Thanks for any input or insight on this.

- Jake

·
Registered
410 Posts
As often as not, export locos often have three-axle trucks to spread the axle loading and make it easier on the track infrastructure. Many times, the center axle wasn't even powered. As for your SD-38's the quick and easy applies. Just order up from EMD a regearing kit designed for the kind of slow lugging you describe. Much easier and cheaper than trying to work up a custom rebuild.

·
Registered
762 Posts
DD45M's

What I've read about the DD45M is that six of the EMD meter-gauge traction motors couldn't use the full 3600 HP of the SD45's prime mover, but eight would. EMD's solution was to build a meter-gauge version of the D-truck of the DD35 and DD40AX. The DD45M's are quite long (comparable to an SDP45) and have rather small fuel tanks. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
The G12's, whether B-B or A-1-A, have 1300 hp on 4 powered axles or 325 hp/axle. The DDM45 has 3600 hp across 8 axles or 450 hp/axle. The GP49 had 2800 hp on 6 axles or 466 hp/axle.

An SD38-2 would have 2000 hp on 6 axles or 333 hp/axle. Based on the other engines, I don't see why the "stock" SD38-2 wouldn't work. An SD38 would weigh about the same as a "SD49" so axle loading wouldn't be that big of a problem, if it was they could remove ballast or use a smaller fuel tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts