Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I trying to find out any information possible on this 1381 Sign, basically I have the sign, power supply, and a ribbon cable and I believe there is something else missing.
Geo
C6C5C563-2DA4-4953-B548-E04B7B7F45F9.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for the reply, it does not do anything, I think there maybe a component missing, and I am not sure what voltage I should use for a supply, the board I have has 2 ribbon cables coming from it, 1 was attached to the sign and the other was just hanging.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I've got 4 Miller Engineering signs on my layout, but not this particular one. The Miller Engineering website says that this kit is double sided. That is likely the reason that there are 2 ribbon cables coming from the control board. Do you have both sides of the sign? Even if you don't, I think the one side should work without the other.

These kits come from Miller Engineering with a battery holder attached to the control board. The holder takes 3 AAA batteries. So the correct voltage to the board should be 4.5V DC. You can see confirmation of that on the sticker you see in your top photo. The sliding switch just to the side of the black and red power supply wires is the On/Off switch. When you insert the sign into the ribbon cable connector, be sure that the "dots" on the cable and sign are aligned for correct polarity.

So it sounds like you may be missing the battery holder and one of the sign sides.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, that makes sense with the ribbon cables, any idea what voltage I should supply the board with?
Geo 🇺🇸

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, that’s the output voltage to the sign, I am looking for input voltage to the board.
Geo🇺🇸

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I‘ll give that a try, but it be for a few days, I’ll keep you posted.
Thanks
Geo🇺🇸

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, I have had good success using these converters, placing them at point of use and powering them from a 12VDC buss that is running under the layout, only issue I found with them at first was that the little pot had to be turned for ever in order to adjust the voltage, but it’s fine after that.
Geo🇺🇸

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All, well unfortunately the signs did not light except for the Drive In and that is not working right, we have a Bill Board sign that doesn’t light either, it has just a 2 wire cable going to it, I tried 4.5 volts on, anyone familiar with this type of sign? See pics

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good morning Gents, just curious if anyone has ever done any troubleshooting of these sign inverter power supplies?
Geo

·
Registered
479 Posts
Good morning Gents, just curious if anyone has ever done any troubleshooting of these sign inverter power supplies?
Geo
What makes you think something is wrong with the power supply? Looks like it's working fine, but several of the lights are out. Are they all LED, I assume? There's probably not much you can do. If the lights are blown or of the circuit board is broken, either way I think your best bet is probably too just get a new one. I'm guessing those are COB LEDs and aren't really replaceable.

You could make it work as a run down drive in of sorts. Not uncommon to find struggling businesses with broken equipment. Just a thought

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The run down Drive in may be the next option, not sure if LEDs were used this far back.
Geo🇺🇸

1 - 16 of 16 Posts