Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve grown a few vegetables for years. Mostly just tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. Last year, the squirrels acquired a taste for tomatoes and they took several. I had to pick them when they just started to turn red in order to get some for myself. I thought about building a chicken wire enclosure last fall, but it seemed crazy to spend a few hundred dollars for some tomatoes.

This year I planted more tomatoes thinking there would be enough for the squirrels and for me. That didn’t work. They are taking them way before they are ripe and some plants have been stripped clean. So, I’m building the enclosure to keep the little buggers out. So far, I’ve got 4 days into it. I still think it’s a bit crazy, but I do like fresh home-grown summer tomatoes and my wife makes killer bruschetta. The chicken wire comes in on Monday (from Amazon Bob S). I hope there are some tomatoes left by then.

All the while I’m building this thing, I keep thinking of the Byrds song Mind Gardens.

IMG_3921.JPG

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Nice looking squirrel cage. Hope it works. It should. My wife loved animals but she hated those tree rats. Sometimes we never got a tomato. They didn't seem to bother our bell peppers. I read they raided gardens for water from the fruit. We put out pans of water for them. Nope, they preferred the tomatoes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hope the cage does the job for you.

A lot of canning, freezing and other methods of food preservation are carried on here at the ol' house on the hill. I have 45 tomato plants, mostly Roma's, some heritage and a few main crop hybrid varieties. 15 peppers, both hot and sweet varietis. 5 different kinds of potatoes, 6 dry beans and 2 varieties of green beans. Cabbage, Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beets, turnips, parsnips, several kinds of melons, sweet potatoes, peas, garlic, corn, onions and several herbs round off the list.

Last year I noticed some half eaten tomatoes out in the garden. Took awhile to figure it out, but it was deer coming in and nibbling on those suckers. In all my years of gardening I had never seen that before. It wasn't a major problem, but this year I did put out some deer chaser-offer stuff and will see how that works.

All a part of the fun that goes with the territory, I guess.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Last year I noticed some half eaten tomatoes out in the garden. Took awhile to figure it out, but it was deer coming in and nibbling on those suckers. In all my years of gardening I had never seen that before. It wasn't a major problem, but this year I did put out some deer chaser-offer stuff and will see how that works.

All a part of the fun that goes with the territory, I guess.
Deer are the bane of my existence. They eat just about anything I plant.

I can't discharge a firearm at my house -- too close to other houses -- but there are no such restrictions on bow hunting. I got my limit last year from my deck with a crossbow. And I'll keep doing it every year until the buggers decide that my property is an unhealthy place. Unfortunately, they are so dumb I doubt they ever will.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Deer around here stay away from plants sprayed with Bobbex. The stuff stinks to high heaven, but one application every three weeks or more seems to deter the voracious deer on Vancouver Island. I currently have a very elegant hanging basket well within their reach, and about 8 traipse through my front yard every day. There isn't a leaf out of place on that thing, nor a flower nibbled. Meanwhile, other plants nearby are nubbed quite drastically.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts

I can't discharge a firearm at my house -- too close to other houses -- but there are no such restrictions on bow hunting. I got my limit last year from my deck with a crossbow. And I'll keep doing it every year until the buggers decide that my property is an unhealthy place. Unfortunately, they are so dumb I doubt they ever will.
The only way to keep them away is to stop inviting them by planting stuff that they will eat....they are driven by their stomachs....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
No win situation

"...but it seemed crazy to spend a few hundred dollars for some tomatoes."

Care to guess how much I spend trying to catch fish?

Wrap your mind around this..you have pet squirrels and you feed them tomatoes :)

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I think they are my wife’s pets. She loves to feed the wildlife…birds, chipmunks, squirrels. The chipmunks also like tomatoes. The critters must think this is the best restaurant in town and the tomatoes are just one feature on the smorgasbord. I suggested I could trap or poison the tomatoe eaters, but she didn’t like that idea.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
The only way to keep them away is to stop inviting them by planting stuff that they will eat....they are driven by their stomachs....
Yes, that's what a deer is: a life support system for a stomach!

All of my ornamentals are "deer resistant", but unfortunately, we want to grow veggies, and the deer love those....

·
Registered
647 Posts

what ya need is a good pellet gun.

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
Mike, You only need to go 4 miles, when relocating.....one summer, I trapped 135, and relocated all of them. I know none returned, as each one got a shot of Orange paint. It was a good season, that summer.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Mike, You only need to go 4 miles, when relocating.....one summer, I trapped 135, and relocated all of them. I know none returned, as each one got a shot of Orange paint. It was a good season, that summer.
I don't grow vegetables. But they were digging up my lawn burying seeds.

Never trapped them. And I had to give up the pellet route after replacing my neighbor's double pane kitchen window for $145 :eek:hwell:

Now I just cut the grass taller to hide it.

·
3,016 Posts
Mike, Years ago, I had a problem with Bluejays, that were nasty. I borrowed a pellet gun from a close friend, and went to War in my back yard. Needless to say, I don't see any Blue Jays around anymore. That had to be over 20 years ago. IT was fun picking them off...Roflmao!!

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
And I had to give up the pellet route after replacing my neighbor's double pane kitchen window for $145 :eek:hwell:
You do know what the sights on the top are used for, right? Or how to reposition so things you don't want to hit aren't in your line of fire, right? Just sayin'...:D

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You do know what the sights on the top are used for, right? Or how to reposition so things you don't want to hit aren't in your line of fire, right? Just sayin'...:D
Good point. 'Twas an overshoot.

And the "sites" on my son's BB pistol ... plastic. I dialed them in using a emery nail file. With BBs, only head shots will do the trick. I got a couple of good ones in at 10 m before the window :)

·
3,016 Posts
Cole, Squirrels totally ignore it. A few have tried using them, and lousy results. LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts