Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Don't want the track hugging the edge. Want a little scenery, even if bushes. What do you all suggest for minimum distance of n gauge track centerline for front and back of layout. Will be on a shelf.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Mine basically scrapes the paint off the wall LOL. But I have limited space and wanted to fit as many tracks as I could. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Willing to maximize the space I have,my trains run 1 1/2 in. from the edge.Three faces of the layout have a six inch Masonite wall and I've glued a 1" X 1/2" foam piece along the front edge so that trains don't fall off should any derail.Scenery hasn't begun yet.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Depends on what scenery you want to put there. If you just want a little ballast, you hardly need any space at all. If you just want a little turf and a few bushes, about one track the width will do it.

Scale model Transport Track Vehicle Train

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
As Brakeman Jake says, the critical consideration is making sure a derailed train doesn't exit the layout and end up on the floor! If you run really close to the edge, make sure you have some sort of facia to ensure no falling.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Mine is about 2". But as others have said, that's really for the safety of anything that derails rather than room for scenery.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Edge

Hi
Don't want the track hugging the edge. Want a little scenery, even if bushes. What do you all suggest for minimum distance of n gauge track centerline for front and back of layout. Will be on a shelf.
Eusjim;

Car safety first, yes. However there is another advantage for having a little scenery along the edge. It can be used to break up the constant view of the train. A few trees, or a low ridge, will make things look more like the real world. Often, when watching a real train, obstacles like this interfere with your view. They also make more realistic "train savers" than a wall.

regards;
Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts