Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my train store today, and something caught my eye.....I noticed on an old Athearn blue box kit that the recommended age for the kit was 7 years.......and on the newer RTR Athearn box, it’s 14 years....

Why would that be? You’d think a ready-to-run piece of rolling stock would have fewer “dangerous” parts in it than an unassembled kit would, and yet the recommmended age for it is twice as old as the kit version is!

I also saw a Hornby RTR piece of rolling stock....it’s recommended age is 3 years!

It baffles me why there would be so many differences for basically the same type of product.....:unsure:

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Because the PC Politzei have gotten their hands in everything these days.

We can't have 12 and 13 year olds eating the couplers off of model trains now can we?

They're all a bunch of busy body idiots.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
maybe because the pieces on the kit were larger ???
who knows, no reason for pc tendancies, lol

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because the PC Politzei have gotten their hands in everything these days.

We can't have 12 and 13 year olds eating the couplers off of model trains now can we?

They're all a bunch of busy body idiots.
Except for the ones in Great Britain, it seems..... :oops:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I was at my train store today, and something caught my eye.....I noticed on an old Athearn blue box kit that the recommended age for the kit was 7 years.......and on the newer RTR Athearn box, it’s 14 years....

Why would that be? You’d think a ready-to-run piece of rolling stock would have fewer “dangerous” parts in it than an unassembled kit would, and yet the recommmended age for it is twice as old as the kit version is!

I also saw a Hornby RTR piece of rolling stock....it’s recommended age is 3 years!

It baffles me why there would be so many differences for basically the same type of product.....:unsure:
I think it might be a case of back in the day Athearn wanted Dad to buy Junior some trains so they made the age 7. But then someone in Athearn's Legal Dept. figured if some 7 year old did get hurt using the product Athearn would be liable and get sued. I saw an example of this a few years ago on a kid's Superman Halloween Costume. It had a label that read "WARNING: CAPE WILL NOT ENABLE WEARER TO FLY".

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
No one seems to have any common sense any longer. Not as common as it once was.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
still one of the best looking bikes out there ... never had a 69 with the cast iron cylinders, but had a 70, turned it up to an 836 kit, lol

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
No one seems to have any common sense any longer. Not as common as it once was.
Malcolm Muggeridge once observed that "The problem with modern man is that he has educated himself into imbecility."

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How would dry, fully cured glue require a higher age limit......?

If anything, all the parts being fully assembled out of the box should lower
the age recommendation, as there are no loose parts to become dangerous to younger folks.....

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sorry, you mis-understand....you may have to re-read my original post, or maybe read the re-worded explanation below....

I mentioned 2 different Athearn products....

Blue Box (old kits) have a recommended age of 7 years.....
Athearn RTR (new, RTR/already assembled) has a recommended age of 14 years.....

My musing is that why would the Athearn Blue Box kit, which does require glue and has a myriad of loose parts, be only 7 years, whereas the Athearn RTR product, which is all assembled and requires no glue and has no loose parts, have a recommended age of TWICE the more dangerous version....

Hopefully that explanation is clearer......

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And therein lies the unanswered question.....what concerns could those be.....?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts