Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well previously I posted about my basement being 52 degrees and to chilly to work down there. I received a lot of responses and a lot of them suggested starting with insulating so this is where I'm going to begin. I bought 22 pcs of styrofoam 4x8 sheets and lots of tubes of bonding in order to secure them.
This is going to take quite a while to accomplish because of numerous items secured to my walls, scenery, buildings etc.
Plus being as cold as it is the arthrits will certainly act up but we'll get there eventually.
I posted 3 photos to start with including a thermometer, the insulation, and the wall where I will begin.
IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Smart move Spence. I’ll be interested to see if just installing the insulation has any effect on the temperature. Moving pictures and buildings is a bit if a pain, but not as bad as what I had to do. When I insulated my basement, one wall had to have some plumbing moved. That was the last wall to get done…by a few years.

Save some of the scraps. You can use them to make terrain for the layout.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Spence, pay attention to the directions on the tubes of "glue". Most of them have a minimum temperature that they will work at. 52 might be a little low! Good luck. :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Spence, pay attention to the directions on the tubes of "glue". Most of them have a minimum temperature that they will work at. 52 might be a little low! Good luck. :smilie_daumenpos:
Spring is just around the corner?
Might be better to wait a month?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good luck, Spence. Being no longer young myself, I respect your determination to undertake this very substantial, labor intensive, project.

·
Admin
44,218 Posts
It'll make a substantial difference. I have an insulated room and next door an uninsulated room. There's a rather porous door between the two rooms and I can feel a cold breeze coming under the door, I'm going to fix that soon. Even though there's no insulation in the walls between the uninsulated area and insulated area, the temperature differential is still considerable. The temperature sensor for the colder room is a couple of feet inside from this temperature sensor.

___temp.png

·
Registered
524 Posts
Should make a big difference Spence. I insulated not only all the walls, but my ceiling as well. I'm so glad I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts