Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance to see it...
I've heard folks mention now and then, that CSX and NS co-op consists we're sometimes seen in the Carolinas.
Yesterday I witnessed one rolling through Belmont... a four-diesel consist, with three NS and a CSX MU'd third.

I'm not familiar enough to know what models they were, (I wouldn't know an ES from an SD) and I wasn't clear-headed enough to get a photo, but I'm glad I got to see it.

Both railroads have hubs here in N.C., so I suppose these encounters could simply be deadheading situations, but it gives rise to an interesting modeling scenario.
It has me thinking it'd be righteous to mix the two on a layout. It would look pretty cool on a model scale. It sure looked awesome in real life!
The two paint schemes go well together.

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither railroad monopolizes the Carolinas... (or the entire eastern U.S. for that matter).
Both have hubs here, and both are equally prominent. The coexistence of giants has a way of degenerating.
The future could possibly hold an eventual merger or buy-out. Sooner or later...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Both RR diesels can be seen on BNSF & UP trains out west. All of them work run through trains coast to coast. So no reason BNSF & UP wouldn't show up in the Carolinas. Back in the 70s & 80s there were a lot of B&O & C&O diesels on Santa Fe in SoCal.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am in SC and I saw Norfolk Southern and Union Pacific locomotive in same train. Didn't have time to get a shot though.

I haven't seen a NS and CSX consist though!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Anytime I get stopped at a RR crossing, the engines have already passed.
Just have to plan ahead & wait at an active Xing. Helps to have a scanner to here where they are. Also try to find a local railfan in the area to help you find out where the trains are running. They usually have a camera around the necks & a scanner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts