Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a layout built with bachmann flex track and i need a turnout. Can I use let’s say an atlas turnout with the bachmann rails? And which turnout Brand would you recommend (ho)

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
Generally speaking, code 100 Flex track of any brand is compatible with
other brands of code 100 flex.

Atlas turnouts are compatible with your track, however, I personally
would recommend a Peco Insulfrog turnout. You just do not have
derails with Peco. Insulfrogs are power routing. If you want
'always on' power of the new dirvert you must have drops to your
bus in both frog rails.

Don

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Yes the Atlas turnouts will work. My experience has been that they are not as reliable as the Peco turnouts. I ended up moving my Atlas ones to hard duty where speeds are super slow and easy to reach.

If you do to with Atlas switches avoid the snap switch. The turn is to sharp for reliability reasons. They will cause headaches with any long car.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You can match up pretty much anything, but it takes some skill, patience, and some fiddling. Generally, it is far better to stick with one brand and one Code of rail height. What counts is if there's going to be a mismatch in height at the top bearing surface of the two meeting rails. You'll hate seeing your cars and locomotives bucking at such height disparities. So, you have to pay attention to such things as the heights of the ties as well. It might make a difference.

If necessary, you can solder larger joiners holding one rail at the correct height, and then simply fill under the ties to get it all supported. I would shove grit/ballast under them, or a thin window framing shim tip, and then cover it with ballast grains. Or use a tight joiner if it'll keep the rail heights well matched, and do the same thing with the space under the ties.

The other thing to watch for is the flange bearing face, the inner vertical face of the rails. Tooling varies between importers, so the rail profiles, viewed on end, vary from importer to importer.

·
Registered
710 Posts
YES ! As long as the rails are the same height (rail code)..Code 100 track/code 100 switches. Code 83 track/c 83 switch, track70/70 switch, etc. etc.
Far as brand; I have always felt Atlas looks more US proto than Peco..Also many go Peco TOs due to having the built in spring action of the points..Other than using your finger only, this presents a problem with adding ground throws...If one sticks with Atlas CustomLine switches which have metal frogs (removable black coating on) and are correctly laid into the layout they work fine and can be powered (power routed) with/without a ground throw....
One final thing: If you use Peco switches with Atlas track, the Peco railhead is narrower than Atlas railhead..This presents a smidge of a prob jail joiner, installment-wise. 🛤🌄🌵

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I have a layout built with bachmann flex track and i need a turnout. Can I use let’s say an atlas turnout with the bachmann rails? And which turnout Brand would you recommend (ho)
Gustavoo12;

As the others have said, you can use a different brand of turnout with your Bachmann track. As for Atlas turnouts, they come in two different types, and one is better than the other. The responder who suggested Atlas turnouts. specified Atlas "Custom Line" turnouts. This is the better of Atlas's two different lines of turnouts. The other is called an Atlas "Snap Switch" and it is not as good as the custom line turnouts. It has a history of derailments, and problems with the Atlas twin-coil switch machine that comes attached to it. The derailments can largely be cured by modifying the turnout as shown in the file "Improving Atlas Turnouts."
In my opinion, a better choice than either type of Atlas turnout, would be Peco, or Micro Engineering, brand turnouts. There is a lot to choose from when buying turnouts. To help new people learn more about turnouts, switch machines and other controls I wrote the attached files.

Good Luck, & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
BTW There's also Walthers switches and track. Some are 'all live' and some are 'power routing'.. If you do not know what that means, we can explain or you might do a search here or go YouTube...

·
Registered
423 Posts
I use Atlas code 100, with Peco turnouts. On the surface everything looks perfect, but there is a difference, and it’s in the tie height. I made it work, but it required some filing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts