Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a mobile container vehicle. Built from brass, wood, paper, and the safety cage is from Walthers. I saw a image on the internet, and thought it would add some “bling” to my intermodal yard.

It doesn’t follow a specific prototype, but I got to use up some stuff from the scrap box. B1C48876-C48F-40A7-9521-D5317A741EB0_1546898748424.jpg
E0CF0C04-CA5B-4BBA-B052-CADE4B729F8F_1546898777691.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is fantastic!!! I have been kicking around the idea of an intermodal transport on my layout for a couple of years. I assume that is mostly Plastruct parts, correct? Where did you get the wheels?

You have inspired me. Excellent work!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
90% brass (square tubing). I prefer for this type of scratchbuild. I like brass because of its strength. It’s very sturdy. The control panel is “block” wood, the panel doors are cardstock.

The wheels came from a kibri crane kit that was brought a long time ago.
There are still tires left over. The safety cage is a Walthers kit.

I really didn’t know much about these vehicles, and it was only because I was looking at mi-jacks that I came across this. I used photos off the internet to construct something that resembled them. Most of these vehicles have a cab, but I had the brass to construct a open platform. The idea is to build another one for added visual interest in the yard. It took 3 hours to construct, and I use a bench sander that I find quite useful for cleaning up the brass cuts. I use a grinder with a cutting disk to cut the brass. Make sure to post your creation, and if you need additional photos, or opinion, feel free to ask..cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts