Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired yet again by Lee Willis, I am embarking on a project to build a Zeppelin model. Not an expensive kit, nor one with a zillion pieces, so should be relatively safe and protected if I mess up. Which is possible as this type of stuff pushes on my comfort zone.

First up is putting the two halves together. Posts on one half into holes on the other. Connections are set away mom the edge.

When put together, the seams of the edge haves gaps.

Do I need to modify the post/holes to get a tighter fit or tape sections together, glue and, after setting, repeat on another section.

Thanks. And please don’t laugh.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
When I built 1/48 scale aircraft, gluing, taping, sanding, and filling, then resanding was the normal procedure for any kit other than a Tamiya or Hasagawa.

The fit of those two brands was so precise filling was never needed that I can recall.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
If the gaps are small, only a millimeter or so, I run a bead of yellow glue along it and push, lead it inside the gap with a pencil point until surface tension holds it in place, wipe it smooth and let it dry, apply a second coat of needed, Seals something like a dirigible body well enough once painted. This does not work on gaps wider than about 1/16th inch.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Forrest, what you need to do is to remove the pin to the seams and attach rubber bands to the main fuselage. This will allow the two halfs to equalize and meet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts