Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a steam engine with sound and being new to the hobby and not knowing exactly what I am doing yet I want to start with a good running engine. I have read that some of the Bachmanns can be finicky but I have not read much about Model Power. I am considering a Model Power 876181 Illinois Central locomotive that has sound. Any yeas or nays on this one?

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Model Power locomotives have always been kind of on the low end for both performance and detail. Of course, they are on price as well.

Most every locomotive manufacturer these days puts out good products (with the occasional dog). Odds are pretty good that you would be just fine with one of those, provided it really is newly manufactured (last 5 years or so) and not just "new in the box".

That said, I have no personal experience with them. All my steamers are Walthers, IHC (made by Mehano), and Bachmann Spectrum.

·
Registered
683 Posts
🌈 If you're talkin HO, I have 4 Bachmann Spectrum locos, 3 steam and 1 diesel.. They all are very good runners, have decent details, sound, and lights ( if you're going DCC ).There are good deals on ebay. If you are going DCC/sound, BEWARE: The ads and prices can trick you !. If you want sound right out of the box, it has to say 'DCC/Sound on Board'..'DCC Ready' means you buy the decoder and speaker (which is a huge hurdle to install) separately, but the decoder plugs into wires under the shell. If it only says 'DCC' it has no sound, no 'ready' plugs, possibly no lights, but does run...
Probably same quality in N scale units...
Far as power, I use an NCE PowerCab ($150 +-) To me personally, it's the Coke of throttles. But there are Pepsi and RC cola, too. ... M 😷

1 - 4 of 4 Posts