Model Train Forum banner

Model Railroading article (Montreal - in French)

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MikeL 
#1 ·
Hi all,

For those of you who read French or are ambitious enough to translate, a good article in LaPresse about the state of model railroading in Montreal.

Overall, a positive take on our hobby, though it does note that very soon (now?) Montreal will have only one full-service / full-time model railroad hobby shop on the entire island.

https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/20...-un-petit-train-va-de-moins-en-moins-loin.php

Mike

#2 ·
An excellent article that can be applied across the country. The U.S. market has also been subject to the same problems but still has a significant number of sources available. However, to purchase items from the U.S. into Canada is generally not cost effective (shipping, insurance, duty, exchange rate) unless one has unlimited resources.

I do miss the days when you could wander into the local shop, be enticed by the displays and inventory to the point where you would walk out with a lot more than you planned on purchasing. It is a sign of the times but for those of us who are still in the game the enjoyment remains. Barry

#3 ·
I like visiting my local Hobby Shop. As the LaPresse article said, my LHS may be the last one on the island and it takes me 30 minutes or so (outside rush hour) to get there.

They are very helpful and answer all my questions. In return, I purchase almost everything from them. Some stuff is in stock, most needs to be ordered (from the US).

So, should I order online, at likely a lower cost and get my product much quicker, or order through my LHS? My choice is clear :)

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.