Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only way this company stays in bussiness is idiots like me buy them,,,worst kits in the world and owner Bester is a rude, crude and not helpful.

DT

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kits are mumble jumble and no instructions...parts need to be drilled and parts are so small they break apart as you drill. Lots of metal castings that you have to glue to plastic....worst, if you ask for help they say if your a modeler, you can do it? Also, "don't ask such dumb questions"

I'll spend my money elsewhere and my five kits from them go in trash.

DT

·
Registered
686 Posts
DT, if you are going to trash them would you tell me what they are? I can make an arrangement via a PM with you.

Dan

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems customer service would be top on a suppliers list of priorities? New to the hobby but Hobby Linc and Model Train Stuff bend over backward to help. BTS and Campbell have very difficult kits( for me), they get frustrated with all my calls but they take time to attempt to help.

DT

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am just now going through my own torturous experience with Model Tech Studios. I'd say 90% of the items were okay, but the other 10%.... casting quality poor, and parts missing.

On some items, excess metal completely obscures the detail, or there are significant gaps in the castings (not just tiny bubbles). His small boats come without the seats shown in photos; the catch net is just a single piece of mesh worth about 10 cents (he charges $3.50).

I left it up to MTS to see if he would provide the missing parts and replace the bad castings (I sent photos), or deduct something as compensation.

The owner did neither.

He ranted about the lack of creativity and craftsmanship in the hobby nowadays (his word), the unwillingness of modellers to accept sub-standard materials, etc. He was rude and arrogant, and basically stated that his failings were somehow mine.

Understand that I have dealt with flashing and other flaws on metal castings before, but this was a new low in both quality and in customer service.

In the end all they wanted was for me to send everything back - at my expense - I guess to hide the flaws from public view. Frankly, with his other questionable comments I could not trust him at that point to refund my credit card.

So what will I do? Use what was acceptable - and make sure to show fellow hobbyists the flawed items - they speak for themselves.

PS: I presume MTS is a one-man-band. So if you do have a problem, there won't be anyone else there to turn to. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Name of owner is James Bester and a real a--. But stupid me bought 25 plus kits from him at one time and every kit had problems. No parts list, no instruction sheet bad quality and he rants and raves it' s my fault.

DT

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Thank y'all for the info. I'll steer clear of MTS!! :eek:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is the place...should have know better than buy something from a state that has a idiot like Bernie Sanders for a senator.

Yep, between the Wharf District, boats, extra wharfs, mechanical shop etc..total of 25!! It has taken me so much time on the wharf kits got me discouraged form further work on railroad. Took five of the kits to Colorado and only one survived the Rio Grande??

DT

·
Registered
4 Posts
YP thinks they are entitled to my Facebook friends list in order to post a review. That's an unrelated topic, but yeah, you have identified the right place to avoid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have to correct something I posted before - about 90% of the order being okay. I showed the items to club members (maybe 9 guys) and most would have sent even more back. And the one thing that I thought was okay was a fish delivery truck, sold as a finished model. Except it was crudely put together, and everyone thought the proportions were "off". One of the other club members stepped in to channel the frame, and lower the box so the wheel wells made sense, etc. Layout ready it was not. The finish is still poor. As for the other kits and accessories, more flaws keep showing up. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's the place. The lure is stuff you might not find anywhere else. But if the quality lacks and parts are missing, then you're not really finding what you need from them either.
:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
that is the address for Neal's N-Gauging Trains!!! He jumped **** a few years ago and has had people from around here looking for him for quite a while now. Oh and the reason they are looking for him is not to shop him but to get their stuff back!!!

I will gladly go down there and check them out for y'all if you'd like I'm 25 minutes away

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bought HO, a young man who works for oil company builds models of rigs, oil and gas processing plants etc. he came out to the house and said it would be easier to get blueprints and scratch build.

He also said some of the "small" parts were not 1/87?

Thanks.

DT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates on this? Was looking at some N scale vehicles and people and such. Pictures look good. Perhaps something has changed over past 6 years?

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
While this does sound like a bit of a personal vendetta against the company, a quick Google search does reveal that this seems to be the standard operating procedure for this guy. That he really doesn't respond well to criticism or indications of problems. His responses to the single Better business Bureau complaint against him (filed just two months ago) follow the theme above: nothing seems to be his fault, and he's certainly very tight fisted when it comes to providing refunds, replacement parts, or anything else that would cost him money. On the other hand, he has a 97% positive feedback rate on eBay (although his responses to negative comments certainly bear out the accusations above).

Personally, if he has something you desperately need and can't seem to find anywhere else, then maybe it's worth buying from him -- just one kit or product and form your own opinion. But unless this is the case, there are so many great companies out there that it seems silly to risk it. A business owner should never, ever, disparage customers or impugn their integrity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
While I never have purchase anything from this store, I most likely will not. Although, he does have some nice thing advertised. Based upon everyone's problems, best to steer clear.

Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts