Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing? I know a separate writer for things like my wifes wedding ring or tools in the garage is HUGE. After a few years of premiums I could replace the stuff, well maybe. If they snatched my AF or ives stuff, I think they would bring it back and inflict harm on me because it wouldnt work.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Yep. And my insurance company, State Farm, said they would write a separate policy to cover them.

But no, I never even pursued it beyond asking and finding out there was a good deal of front-end documentation you had to priovide, etc I could give a lot of BS reasons but the real one is a bit hard to articulate. Basically my trains are toys, and I should not be spending money on them unless I have it to throw away, so its seems a bit silly to insure them as if their loss would be financially important to me. When I buy one I really treat it as if the money is gone forever - no expectation of ever geeting anything back. Maybe that doesn't make sense. I did the same thing with some old cars I had, when I had old cars. Like a '53 Coupe De Ville I had rebuild so it was a good driveable fun car. Had liability and all, but no insurance on the car itself.

I also imagine it is hassle to collect on the policy. Anyway, that is my excuse for not having any.

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
My experience with insurance companies is, you pay premiums...and pay.....and pay.....and when you make a claim, they come up with all sorts of reasons and excuses to not pay out....so......

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
If I were to have a separate homeowner's rider for anything, it would be for my firearms collection. I checked on it years ago, but it just wasn't worth it.

As has been mentioned, I would hate to go through the hassle of trying to collect on a claim.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Home owners policies I have had provide a coverage limit of $3000 for collections. As it was explained to me about model trains, If someone were to break in my house to steal my trains, they would prolly focus on the locomotives. Now, as each loco replacement cost would be around $250 - $300 for the sound units at most, they would have to take at least 12 of them before exceeding my coverage. Without the protective boxes to transport them, they would be pretty well damaged by the thief so resale would be minimal. Knowing that, a thief would limit his take to prevent damage, thus keeping my loss under $3000. I would be covered for the whole loss.
Now if the house were to burn down and destroy my models, I would suffer a loss in excess of $3000 and not be covered for it all. My recorded inventory would be my proof of ownership for coverage.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with you guys, sounds like a hassle and probably not worth it, Some of my lionels are like children to me like my 636 and 752. I will just start getting more prewar American flyer stuff, that way if a thief tries to take the stuff, most of the parts will fall off before they make it to the front door. Especially the Standard gauge stuff.

·
Admin
44,230 Posts
If I were to have a separate homeowner's rider for anything, it would be for my firearms collection. I checked on it years ago, but it just wasn't worth it.
You use one of them to keep from having to collect in any theft. ;)

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
That would be robbery instead of burglary. I take care of the former, Lisl von Schlaf takes care of the latter.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That would be robbery instead of burglary. I take care of the former, Lisl von Schlaf takes care of the latter.

Robbery is taking something from someone by force. Burglary is going somewhere you have no right to be and taking something without force.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Robbery is taking something from someone by force. Burglary is going somewhere you have no right to be and taking something without force.
I'm aware of that. Hence the wording of my post.

If I were home and that occurred it would be robbery. If I was not at home, but Lisl is, it is burglary. At any rate, each would be stopped before the act was completed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts