Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- my name is Lynn. My father passed away at the end of June. My brother and I have been trying to figure out what to do with his model railroad stuff. We want it to go to good use. We will be giving it a new home. I know there are different types of model railroads but not sure which one he was into. There is also a vintage set. I know there’s tools and things of that sort, as well. Would love to find a loving home locally! His house is in Highlands Ranch but I think my brother and I would want to rehome everything somewhere a little more public. I am working on getting pictures. Don’t have any right away but will soon.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Hello- my name is Lynn. My father passed away at the end of June. My brother and I have been trying to figure out what to do with his model railroad stuff. We want it to go to good use. We will be giving it a new home. I know there are different types of model railroads but not sure which one he was into. There is also a vintage set. I know there’s tools and things of that sort, as well. Would love to find a loving home locally! His house is in Highlands Ranch but I think my brother and I would want to rehome everything somewhere a little more public. I am working on getting pictures. Don’t have any right away but will soon.
Hi,
Sorry for your loss.
There are a lot of different sizes/scales too, do you know what he had?
Where about is Highlands Ranch? Ca?
Edit, never mind I re read the title. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Colorado. And I forgot to mention we aren’t looking for money, just someone who will appreciate it all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll have to get back in sizes. I just don’t know 😬 it’s all really small, does that help? 😂

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Colorado. And I forgot to mention we aren’t looking for money, just someone who will appreciate it all.
It would be nice if you could donate it to a local club if there are any.
Do you know the scale? Are they large, small, in between?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
I’ll have to get back in sizes. I just don’t know 😬 it’s all really small, does that help? 😂
Might be N scale. Popular
There are other scales smaller.
Post a picture with a ruler or dollar bill next to it for reference.

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
The first thing to do is determine the 'scale' of the system.
The most popular are:

0 Gauge. This is the 3 rail Lionel type system. It uses what
is known as A transformer, if it is a large large it would have
more than one.

HO gauge. This is possibly the most popular. It uses a 2
rail track with rails approximately 3/4" apart. It uses what
are known as Power Packs and also, if a large layout
would use more than one. There is also a more modern
power system for HO that is known as DCC. This uses
usually one or two controllers.

N gauge. About half the size of HO and also popular especially when available space is limited. It uses a 2 rail track with rails
approx. 1/2 " apart. It is controlled by Power Packs as described
in the HO paragraph.

Your best opportunity for the layout is to try to contact
local Hobby Shops. They should know if there is a local
train club or person who would be interested. You could
also run a free ad in the Craigslist 'Collectibles' or
'Toys and Games' sections. There are 'brokers' who
would pay a less than market amount for it. If you are in
a small community run your ads in Craigslist in nearby larger
markets.

Don

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts

Scales, the largest one is what you would see in an outside garden. the measurements are taken on the wheels.
There are a few more scales that are not shown some smaller.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
If you post for FREE, you will have people coming out of the woodwork.
Most would just want them for resale, I would refrain from doing that if you want them to go to a good home.
Brokers....same thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might be N scale. Popular
There are other scales smaller.
Post a picture with a ruler or dollar bill next to it for reference.
This is a good place to start, thank you. Just don’t want our dads passion and efforts to go to waste by posting a meaningless ad on Craigslist. Thank you Mr Ed

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If you should find any in his collection, I am interested in European HO and HOm locomotives and rolling stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I honestly don’t know anything. I suppose I should have waited until I could take pictures. I love trains and loved the model railroads he showed me but I know nothing. I apologize for posting this before I knew anything. I will put pictures up soon but would also appreciate any club info for Denver that Mr Ed mentioned as o really want this stuff to go to an enthusiast. I’ll report back. Thanks

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
Frankly, an enthusiast probably won't be interested. He'll want to pick and choose pieces that complement his collection (see MichaelE's reply above).

I would contact youth groups, churches, YMCA, senior centers, places like that to see if someone is interested in the whole collection.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I honestly don’t know anything. I suppose I should have waited until I could take pictures. I love trains and loved the model railroads he showed me but I know nothing. I apologize for posting this before I knew anything. I will put pictures up soon but would also appreciate any club info for Denver that Mr Ed mentioned as o really want this stuff to go to an enthusiast. I’ll report back. Thanks

"Mr. Ed", the talking horse. How appropriate! 😄😄 😄😄😄

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
It's actually very common for these kinds of posts for the OP never to return to tell us what the resolution was.

·
Registered
63 Posts

just out of curiousity: What did you decide to do w/ your dad's collection ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, I’ve read all the replies and was a little disheartened. Everything is in my garage right now, so nothing has happened yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts