Model Train Forum banner

Model trains in movies/TV series

103K views 233 replies 91 participants last post by  ftauss 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's the ones I can think of....
Movies:
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Addams Family (I don't remember if it was in the first, sequel or both.)

TV:
The Sopranos
One of the gangsters gets into the hobby for a few episodes. And then he gets whacked in a hobby store and wrecks the train layout as he's going down! I believe that episode is titled "The Blue Comet" named after the model train.
The Addams Family

Any others?

#11 ·
Captain Kangaroo

The Captain ran a compact Lionel "O" Gauge layout with two levels, like those built by Lionel for dealer displays.
On one occasion, a 736 2-8-4 speed-ed off a curve on a trestle set.

"Oh!" the Captain exclaimed, "We have a wreck!"
:D

No one remembers that?

#39 ·
Sorry ed...I don't remember that particular accident....but man did I ever get excited when the Capt. would pull out the train table and Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit would don the Engineer attire, which set up a Mr. Moose Knock-Knock joke and all those pingpong ball!!:laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

#12 ·
In 1947 In a movie titled, Christmas Eve, American Flyer trains deliver food on the dining room table.

I can thank my old (young) lady for that one. She loves old TV movies.
Thats her hobby.:D

#15 ·
Four's A Crowd, 1938

You can thank the old (young) lady again.
I searched for this info,

Walter Connolly, portraying an eccentric millionaire, runs a "large garden railroad" illustrated on page 4 of the 1938 Lionel catalog. A Lionel scale New York Central Hudson (700E; introduced in 1937) races Lionel's first scale model, a 17:64 replica of UP streamliner M-10000 (introduced in 1934). Warner Brothers teams Errol Flynn and Olivia deHavilland, but here they seem immature. Flynn comes across as crude and pushy. DeHavilland is annoying and childish, more like a teenager than an adult. Phone calls take a lot of screen time. Lionel never mentions this movie again, not even in its MODEL RAILROADING series of Bantam paperback books (PS). (04/17/2010)

#16 ·
While searching for the last one I found this,

The Dukes of Hazard ( Danger on the Hazard express.)

Opening scenes focus on a small Lionel layout. A 681 steam turbine is pulling a freight train. Abruptly a pickup truck shoots forward and knocks a boxcar on its side at a grade crossing. Boss Hogg explains to Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltraine ("Coal Train," perhaps?) that he is planning to use a remote-control pickup truck to loot a train of $2,000,000. A real train, diesel-powered, rolls by twice. First, Bo and Luke Duke inadvertently drive up and foil the robbery. Second, the General Lee, with Bo at the wheel and Luke disabling the robbers and the remote control, jumps over the boxcar. The layout serves as a plot device when the Duke boys discover it and deduce Boss Hogg's nefarious plan. They operate the layout with a black box that is a cross between a transformer and a TMCC controller. (09/06/2007)

#18 ·
I found this in my search travels,

Superman Returns, 2006

Huge wooden doors in the Vanderworth mansion open to reveal a first-rate layout of Marklin HO and G (or no. 1) gauge trains. An iconic Santa Fe F-unit "warbonnet" pulls 3 white boxcars lettered "Marklin" across the screen, combining nostalgia and product placement. Sadly, the whole layout is pushed to pieces after Lex Luthor drops a piece of Kryptonian crystal stolen from Superman's Fortress of Solitude into a lake of real water. One quick shot shows a girl standing by a 50's car with its hood up and a wad of cotton to simulate steam or smoke. This description may seem silly, but that little scene conveys drama and character. (08/04/2006)

#19 ·
Found this too,

So You Want To Build A Model Rail Road. 1955

I never saw this one.

This black-and-white entry in the Joe McDoakes series from Warner Brothers is a hilarious take on all-consuming passion for toy trains. Lionel "O" Gauge trains gradually fill the McDoakes' home. The ending alone is worth the price of admission. This short played in the TCA Museum at Strasburg for years. One day, a woman in the audience kept saying to herself, "How true." Joe McDoakes is played by George O'Hanlon, also credited as writer. He also wrote for the TV show Petticoat Junction in 1963. He is best known as the voice of George Jetson. (05/09/2005)

Want more?:D

#40 · (Edited)
AAAHHAAA....To the Play Room!!!

Yes Crosstie and Gomez always got a bang out of it.......what destruction!!!:eek:
The updated Addams Family with The late Raul Julia is hilarious....Mortia,OH NO..Pugsly..Fathers playing with his trains.....The the covered bridge.....He's got the Diesel.....dead mans curve!!! God give me a SIGN!!! Its on You Tube!!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.