Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel as if their locomotives have become (or maybe always were) almost like companions? I enjoy just running them for hours while I work on little projects here and there in the train room. I never get bored with watching them go round and round the layout馃榾

Registered
She's female. My second female; I had three males before the females.

The females are easier to train, are more focused, with a longer attention span than I have found with the males.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mean "companions" as in I'm insane or friendless, and I talk to them and stroke them and...whatever else. I can't really explain what I mean, but to me model railroading has always been more than just a hobby or pastime or whatever you wish to call it.

Registered
I am attached to my model trains for the memories they bring and those feeling I had then. They are not my friends or companions, but a means to an end. A very pleasant means.

Registered
I enjoy my trains the very same way I enjoy the real things. I marvel at the engineering, the power, the history, the culture, the infrastructure (who doesn't get 'that feeling' when walking down seldom-used tracks with trees on both sides and only a Swainson's Thrush to keep you company?). I sort of get that with my toys and my layout, especially if I periodically moisten a small rag with creosote oil that I leave in a peanut tin under the layout.

But, there's no competition, not by a long shot, with my wife, whom I regard as my BFF, my daughters, and our little Italian Greyhound Lucy who exhorts me to go out five times a day and throw a ball across our yard about 40 times so she can tear after it and retrieve it. At best, my trains and the layout environment are a bit of relief or a pleasant pastime.

Registered
Wonderful German Shepard's. Had a couple years ago, Kim and Tin. Miss them

Had to have Spike put down a month ago, by best bud for 14 years.

Model locomotives are a substitute but they don't greet you with a waggy tail.

Registered
Does anyone else feel as if their locomotives have become (or maybe always were) almost like companions? I enjoy just running them for hours while I work on little projects here and there in the train room. I never get bored with watching them go round and round the layout馃榾
Yes!! I've often wondered if I was the only one. I set them going when I am in the train room and they just seem like companions to me . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts