Model Train Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Beautiful work, and I agree you've captured the spirit if not every last detail of the prototype D.C. system (cough Rivet Counters cough)! 🙄

I'm curious -- the photos capture the "enclosed space" vibe of virtually every subway system, but how did you model it in a way that allows for such effortless photography (and presumably viewing)? I suppose you could just do it as an enclosed space diorama, and use some sort of endoscope camera to take pictures, but I'm assuming this is part of a real layout that can be viewed by real human-sized humans! Can you widen the frame a bit and let us see how you've embedded all this in an operating layout? Inquiring minds want to know . . . :unsure:

·
Registered
Amtrak. MBTA, and DC Metro
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I'm curious -- the photos capture the "enclosed space" vibe of virtually every subway system, but how did you model it in a way that allows for such effortless photography (and presumably viewing)? I suppose you could just do it as an enclosed space diorama, and use some sort of endoscope camera to take pictures, but I'm assuming this is part of a real layout that can be viewed by real human-sized humans! Can you widen the frame a bit and let us see how you've embedded all this in an operating layout? Inquiring minds want to know . . . :unsure:
The photos of the “underground” stations are usually taken with the end wall or a few side walls removed. Most of our underground stations are located at the edge of the downtown table, so part of the walls have been left off so that they can be viewed. I haven’t put the table top back on yet, will be done soon. I can take some photos of them then.

In the meantime, here’s a couple of shots with the end walls removed. These two stations are located in spots that normally would be in accessible so they are fully enclosed. First photo is River Bridge Station, the same one as the first station in this thread, which is actually part of a span between the downtown table and a ledge along a wall. Second photo is Stair Way Station which is located under a stair case. As of now the lines stop here. Possible expansion into the next room from here.

Building Train Transport hub Tire Vehicle

Fixture Symmetry Circle Space Ceiling

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
The photos of the “underground” stations are usually taken with the end wall or a few side walls removed. Most of our underground stations are located at the edge of the downtown table, so part of the walls have been left off so that they can be viewed. I haven’t put the table top back on yet, will be done soon. I can take some photos of them then.

In the meantime, here’s a couple of shots with the end walls removed. These two stations are located in spots that normally would be in accessible so they are fully enclosed. First photo is River Bridge Station, the same one as the first station in this thread, which is actually part of a span between the downtown table and a ledge along a wall. Second photo is Stair Way Station which is located under a stair case. As of now the lines stop here. Possible expansion into the next room from here.
Thanks for the explanation, COG. I'm still struggling with how your subway system is or will be operated (or if it's operated), and how it will be viewed while in operation. Do you plan viewing ports for easy visibility (it occurs that some high-def "surveillance" cameras and a big-screen TV could provide a novel way to railfan it!)? I've seen a fair number of multi-room train systems in my time, but never one with an underground connection! ;)

·
Registered
Amtrak. MBTA, and DC Metro
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for the explanation, COG. I'm still struggling with how your subway system is or will be operated (or if it's operated), and how it will be viewed while in operation. Do you plan viewing ports for easy visibility (it occurs that some high-def "surveillance" cameras and a big-screen TV could provide a novel way to railfan it!)? I've seen a fair number of multi-room train systems in my time, but never one with an underground connection! ;)
Four of the six underground stations have portals which are just area where wall panels have not placed. The other two are fully enclosed as their location is somewhat inaccessible. The subway trains will operate with JMRI. Magnetic reed switches are in place allowing trains to stop for a short time at each station.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts