Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellow modelers,
Attached is an Excel spreadsheet (zipped up as ZipFileForForum.zip) that I recently completed after doing a whole lot of research (on and off the Web). All the model RR organizations (Orgs) that I could find on the planet (from an American perspective) are included. It is sorted alphabetically by Org name. There is a total of 30 Orgs listed, with 11 Manufacturers, 7 Retailers, 5 Publishers, 3 Social, and 4 Other.
This is an interesting matrix of information for your review & comment. I am open to suggestions for corrections, additions, improvements, or just comments.
Thank you,
Tim Barber

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
only these 7 things showed up for me.
Model Train Forum.com
Model Railroad Forums.com
TrainBoard.com
Railroad-Line Forums
Free Rails.com
Nscale.org
Nscale.net

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
File corrected.

only these 7 things showed up for me.
Model Train Forum.com
Model Railroad Forums.com
TrainBoard.com
Railroad-Line Forums
Free Rails.com
Nscale.org
Nscale.net
------
Sorry, I used the wrong file. (TMI....)
I fixed it. Try again.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Lol, you have much to learn grasshopper. This only scratches the surface.
Yup. If you got 30 names on your list, I'd be surprised if you hit more than 2-3% of what's out there. The real list may actually defy compilation.

Follow this link to the list of exhibitors for the upcoming Amherst Railroad Hobby Show coming at the end of January 2020. It is one of the biggest shows in the country, and they're currently listing 417 exhibitors: clubs, historical societies, tourist railroads, retailers, manufacturers, publishers, collectables, etc. Granted, some of these only deal with full-sized railroading, but there are also lots and lots of people who aren't represented.

http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/listofexhibitors.php

Walthers, the biggest model railroad product distributor in North America, lists products from 246 different manufacturers, and there are hundreds of manufacturers that they DON'T carry. Again, some of theirs manufacturers are outside the US, but they're very much a part of the hobby in the US (Noch scenery items, Preiser figures, and Wiking vehicles, just to name a few).

This hobby is much, much bigger than your list would indicate. I don't know where you live, but if you could get to one of these really big shows, the numbers and variety of stuff would blow you away.

I plan to head up to the Amherst show and pick through BEST trains and Tichy Train Group's incredible selections of layout details. If you can arrange to make the trip, I'd highly recommend it.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
tbarber, thanks for doing this, don't mind the nay-sayers, we appreciate the effort.
Nay-sayers? Hardly. I for one appreciate the fact that someone wanted to try to do this.

It was charmingly naive of him to think he was anywhere near completion with such a short list, though. Cynically... just picking up a copy of Model Railroader or Model Railroad Hobbyist, or visiting the website of any major retailer would have shown him that.

He DID ask for comments and suggestions, and the theme of the responses was pretty much the same: good start. Keep plugging at it for another 5 years or so and you'll really have something. A lot of this is in the presentation. If he had said it was a work in progress rather than implying that it was a complete index, reactions would have been different.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
not sure of the value of a list of railroad sources.

of course you can bookmark your favorites. but google has made indexes obsolete. searching for something the day you need it may turn up a sources not available yesterday. relying on something collected in the past may not be reliable.

of course you can be overwhelmed with hits from google. the "-" option can be used to ignore sites matching the keyword preceded by the "-"

the "site:" keyword can be used to limit a search to that specific site. this is often a better approach than using search engine on a particular site (e.g. Walthers, forums)

of course i've often just looked around in the local hardware store to see what kinds of things are available. And sometimes it's challenging to know what specific word to search for. when that happens i often start with a image search (e.g. suitcase vs scotchlok connectors)

i believe learning how to search efficiently is a useful skill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts