Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Lionel has ended the agreement that allowed MTH from manufacturing Tinplate under Lionel's name & logo will Lionel venture into the Tinplate world.

Does Lionel still have any of their Tinplate tooling to resurrect the brand ?

Bill

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Which company owns the design produced by the tooling? That is, if MTH produced tinplate under its own name using different product names would that violate Lionel's trademarks, copyrights, etc.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My experience with tooling at GM. Once the tools are no longer in use, they are destroyed. For example, the cavities on molds are typically welded to destroy the details.

Dan

·
Registered
450 Posts
Question: has Lionel ever produced modern tinplate?

I was under the impression that Mike Wolf was behind pretty much all of it, even the old Lionel Classics line. Can anyone confirm? If so, I suspect we'll see more tinplate out of MTH before Lionel.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question: has Lionel ever produced modern tinplate?

I was under the impression that Mike Wolf was behind pretty much all of it, even the old Lionel Classics line. Can anyone confirm? If so, I suspect we'll see more tinplate out of MTH before Lionel.
Yep, the first major business decision a very young Mike Wolf made was purchasing the tinplate tooling from Jerry Williams for $150,000. This tooling allowed Mike to manufacture about 25 to 30 tinplate items. Pretty much this was the beginning of MTH.

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts