Model Train Forum banner

241 - 250 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I really like how the station sound effects add interest to your passenger train. Passenger trains are beautiful but can be somewhat boring on a layout. Your sound effects make your passenger operations much more interesting to observe.

I also really like your wilderness sound effects. Just as we compress space on a layout, you have compressed wilderness sounds on your layout. In both instances, too much compression would be crowded. You've avoid crowding too many sounds into your wilderness area while also being able to suggest quite vividly how wild the mountain territory is that the railway must pass through in this region of the country.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Thanks for your comments on the layout sound effects I've put in my layout. I have the ability to switch the background sound on or off when I run my railroad. I've found that I always turn the layout background sound on. The bird calls that come from my mountain area is very soothing to hear in the background. I think it helps counter balance all the mechanical sounds coming from my sound equipped locomotives. I also took a lot of time to pick the sounds that come from my industrial area. I wanted something that wouldn't be annoying after hearing it for hours on end and wouldn't draw attention to itself. I'm pleased that I think I've accomplished that.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
I've spent the last few weeks working on and off on weathering all of the rail cars I have on my layout. I had done the locomotives some time ago, but hadn't gotten to the rail cars until now. Weathering is mostly light handed and was done with an air brush and grimy wash. Took the "shine" off and dulled the colors down a bit. Here's a few pictures of how it turned out. I will probably do a few details on some of the cars, such as oil stains/drips on the tank cars and maybe some rust spots on a few other cars.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Fantastic work MarK. I love that bridge.

Makes me wish I had designed in a few viaducts on the mountain spur to better replicate the Rhätische Bahn, had I known before I would be modeling this.

241 - 250 of 250 Posts