Model Train Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Kenny I grew up in Texas and they were everywhere. I have seen them in southern Missouri. But like I said they are heading north. I have heard those big pythons in Florida will head north. That's all I need, a 17 foot snake. Maybe they will eat the squirrels.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The babies are growing. Mamma must be weaning them. They are eating grass now. Won't be long and they will leave here and join the heard. 2 years ago the babies came back maybe twice a week for a visit for a few months. I think the heard is in the park up the road. Maybe a mile north of me. Its not that big of a park but they say deer do not need much area. There are woods there. They are fine around here if they stay out of the road.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A mamma and 2 babies were right by my picture wall. They really do not mind me being on the patio. Anybody else they will run. I was going somewhere the other day and I had a ball cap on when I came out the door. Mamma got all upset till I took the cap off and then she was fine. Sometimes I can not believe I have animals this big in my yard. Last couple days I have had 2 big hawks hanging around. Hope they get a couple of chipmunks
and maybe a squirrel or two.

IMG_0752.JPG
IMG_0753.JPG

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I mentioned the hawks. Just went outside and lo and behold there was a hawk standing on the bird bath.
Got a few pics. They can hang around all they want.

IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0755.JPG
IMG_0756.JPG

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Nice pictures. We have hawks that live in the slope areas behind the houses, they do not land in our backyards, but they spend their days riding the thermals above the slopes. There is apparently some distribution of rights between the scavengers (large black crows) and the predators. It would be nice if the hawks would clear out some of the crows.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Some years we have a bunch of crows. They are loud sometimes. Very few this year.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I saw a crow flying with a small rabbit a few years ago. For some reason rabbits are scarce around here. My youngest son lives about 2 miles from me and he has lots of big rabbits. I looked up hawks in Missouri and best I can tell, mine are called Broad wing Hawks. They are considered a small hawk. They winter in South America. That's a long trip.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
My town is mostly all residential around me. House next to house.
A few blocks north of me is a golf course. There used to be a big farm that dated back to the revolutionary war days.
There was a little known Battle back up on that farm, we lost the battle but held off the redcoats long enough for George and troops to get into the mountains, they were trying to trap old George and he almost fell for the trap. If he did the USA might be a whole different place now. Battle of Short Hills. Battle of Short Hills - Wikipedia
The farm was huge, 3/4 500 or more acres or so. It was huge. The street that runs along it is Woodland road. Many years ago it was all forest.
The farm was sold and now there are a ton of 5 million dollar houses built on what used to be the farm.
No hunting for many many miles. The wildlife is quickly multiplying. Mainly deer.
Used to see them late at night or early in the Am. Now we see them all day long. I think they send out scouts in the daylight to comeback for Midnight raids on our plants.
These to guys were left by their mother to learn the way of life.
They followed me from the front yard to the back yard for half a day while I was doing yard work.
I guess the mom got hit by a car or something as she never came back, they finally got tired of watching me and wandered away.
At night the deer walk down the street here like a street gang, they do eat a lot of plants the ucks.
I treat my plants with a product called Deerout ( not Deeroff, the Deerout sticks on the plant longer then then off). Works great and last fairly long. They leave mine alone as they tasted the stuff and don't like it. I guess the word got around among them. :)
I wished I had a few hawks like that in my yard to get the damn Chipmunks.
We do have them but not like out in the boonies.

My buddies. Sooooo cute when they are young. :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts