Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to responses to my earlier question, I'm in the process of expanding my layout (actually moving to a larger space) and running trains more. This has led me to a couple of questions:

1) I am using the Lionel 990 legacy control system to operate my locomotives. Somewhere in the process of moving, I misplaced the manual for the system. I have gone to the Lionel support web site and have found the PDF of the manual, but cannot figure out how to order another hard copy. Is there a way to order another hard copy?

2) The rolling stock I've acquired (5 box cars and a caboose) all have plastic couplers. I know from previous HO experience that metal couplers were virtually always preferable to plastic. If this is also the case in O-gauge is there a product line which offers metal couplers, or is the coupler type really that much of an issue?

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
While metal trucks and couplers are preferable to plastic, I’ve had plastic trucks and couplers that have worked just fine for years. Don’t know of any product line that offers traditional (lobster claw) metal couplers by themselves. You can get metal trucks with couplers included, but if your cars came with plastic couplers, it’s probably not worth spending the bucks for new metal trucks with couplers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everybody for the information. After spending most of this afternoon searching for the manual, my wife remembered she was trying to "help" me move and put some of the paperwork into one of the boxes of track. I now have both my 990 manual and the GP35 manual I didn't know was missing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts