Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 cents on motive power. I dont know about others and had seen and heard some things (good/bad).

I started out with Bachmann in steam and Diesels.
K4 runs great and sound is good. F7 A and B units run good.
I have a few other DCC only Bachmann's with no duds.

I have a numbert of Atlas diesels. Some with sound, some no sound. All run great.
Atlas Shay with DCC a great runner. Runs super slow and takes forever to get arround my layout!

Intermountain - My pride and joy is SP Cab-Foward with sound.
A number of Diesels with sound too.

Your milage may differ for you/ BUT for me I am Happy.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
You should be able to tinker with the CV's of your locos to get them ALL to just creep along in low speed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brands

All of my motive power works good without touching the CV values. I was just making a comment about different brands and my views on them.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Whatever works

All of my motive power works good without touching the CV values. I was just making a comment about different brands and my views on them.
Againtrains;

As long as you're satisfied with the locos you have that's all that matters. I personally prefer Kato, but if you like your Bachmanns, Atlas, and Intermountains, (BTW these last two may have Kato mechanisms) that's fine.
Thanks for posting your opinions. The more opinions posted, the better informed we'll all be.

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only CV value I have played with is the change of the horn and/or whistle. Never had problems of anything running at slow speed. So much easier with DCC vs DC.

Never had a Kato Unit. I notice so many of the Kato's come non DCC or only ready for DCC. I have heard their couplers don't play nice with other brands.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Kato locos and couplers

The only CV value I have played with is the change of the horn and/or whistle. Never had problems of anything running at slow speed. So much easier with DCC vs DC.

Never had a Kato Unit. I notice so many of the Kato's come non DCC or only ready for DCC. I have heard their couplers don't play nice with other brands.
Againtrains;

Yes, and no. Kato, like other manufacturers, makes both DC and DCC locomotives. Most current ones have the option of either straight DC, or DCC (motor & light only) or DCC with ESU Loksound decoder installed. In any version, they are renowned for high quality and smooth running. My katos are mostly older DC units, though there are decoders available to fit them and I have converted one of my old F-units to DCC and sound. Pretty easy conversion.

You are right about Kato couplers. They couple, and stay coupled, very well to each other, but can be problematic about staying coupled to some other brands.

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts