Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Any ideas how the brushes come out of this motor. Its a small 1500 switcher and its dead
ennisdavis;

That's an old three-pole Rivarossi motor, mounted in the world's fastest switching locomotive. The brushes are in brass tubes that just pull straight out of the motor. That loco had a minimum speed of about 60 scale miles per hour and at full throttle could easily break 150. It's usefulness as a switch engine, or even as a road locomotive, was pretty bad, to say the least. There are much much better switchers available now, including some that are quite close in size & looks to that one. I'll let you decide whether you want to replace the brushes, the motor, (if you can find either for this 1970s model) or the whole locomotive with a much better-running one.

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
206 Posts
Those Atlas S2s and S4s are really nice. What is that thing?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Those Atlas S2s and S4s are really nice. What is that thing?
bigiionelguy;

If by "that thing" you mean the locomotive in the OP's photo, its an old Rivarossi SW 1500. If you read my response to him above you will learn about its speed problem.

Traction Fan

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
That's a little fast for shunting duty. DCC locomotive decoders today have a shunting mode that will really slow down the speed steps. They crawl almost imperceptibly.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
That's a little fast for shunting duty. DCC locomotive decoders today have a shunting mode that will really slow down the speed steps. They crawl almost imperceptibly.
MichealE;

"A little fast!" Good one. Shunting cars at 60 mph would be ! :D

Traction Fan

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
That is the term for 'switching' used in Europe.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I was replying to rrjim1. I figured you knew.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes, looking at you picture I guessed it was a term used in Europe. I just never heard it used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts